PDA

View Full Version : Installing '95 M5 Bumper

remuse
01-13-2009, 05:26 PM
I would like to replace my '95 525i stock front bumper to a '95 M5 bumper due to a recent minor accident.

Has anyone upgraded to a M5 bumper on '95 525i? If so, can you please let me know if it will fit perfectly and whether I need additional parts? Will the brake ducts still work? Pictures and a do it yourself (DIY) link will be tremendously helpful. Thank you.

bubba966
01-13-2009, 09:41 PM
M5 bumpers don't have brake ducts. Only the 540 & M-Sport/M-Tech bumpers have brake ducts. The 540 bumper is kinda goofy looking with the brake duct openings cut into a regular bumper. The M-Sport/M-Tech bumper looks like an M5 bumper, but has brake ducts in it and is shaped slightly different to funnel air into the ducts.

Yes, there's a few things that are different between the two bumpers. If you're getting a used one it should have all of the stuff that you'd need just to put the bumper on. And if you got the M-Sport style you'd need the brake duct & duct mount to get the brake ducts in and working.

There should be no problem putting an M5 or M-Sport bumper on your 525.

Here's the part numbers for the M-Sport bumper
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE63&mospid=47410&btnr=51_0639&hg=51&fg=15

remuse
01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Thank you bubb996 for the information!

I am actually getting a new OEM M5 bumper from the dealer. I couldn't find a used one.

A few follow up questions:
1. So the difference between the M5 bumper and M-Tech bumper are the brake ducts, correct?
2. Will both have that front lower lip that extends from the lower front bumper?
3. Do you know which is easier to install between the two - M5 bumper vs. M-Tech bumper?
4. Will my foglights from my 525i fit the M5 bumper?
5. I am also considering upgrading the rear stock bumper to the rear M5 bumper. I assume it will also be a perfect fit, correct?
6. Are there differences between the rear M5 bumper and the rear M-Tech bumper?

Thank you in advance!!!

bubba966
01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
1. Big difference in M-Tech vs. M5 bumper is the M-Tech has brake ducts, the M5 has an alternator cooling duct (for the S38) and a blocked off duct on the other side of the bumper to make it appear matching.

2. Yes, both of them have the lower lip that you're speaking of. They're slightly different from each other and it's a bit hard to describe it. From a distance or to someone that doesn't know what to look for you'd probably not tell that there is any difference.

3. Should make no difference on installing either the M-Tech or M5 bumper.

4. Foglights are the same as I recall, should be no fitment issues.

5. Yes, no problems fitting the rear M5 bumper.

6. The M5 & M-Tech rear bumpers are identical. It's only the front bumpers that are different.

I should mention that my E34 experience is with my '95 M-Sport, a friend's '95 525iT, and another friend's '93 M5.

If you'd like some decent pics of an M-Tech bumper go to www.kindel.com/bmw to look at pics of a silver M-Sport.

And if you've already bought the M5 bumper and wanted to run brake ducts you might be able to cut the back off of the blocked duct and hook up the brake ducts from the 540. But I've not tried this out, so I can't say for sure.

remuse
01-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Thank you Bubba 966! I will post some pics when everything is complete.