PDA

View Full Version : Check Control

bad2buck
01-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey Guys I am New to the BMW ayway I have a 92 bmw 525i and I cant figure out what is going on with this check control thing. I have done the stomp test and nothing shows up. I also have pushed the check control button and it say every thing is OK. But the engine will run for awhile than Die but will start right back up most of the time. Sometimes it real hard to start. I keep getting a message that says check control see owners manaul. I think I have an exhaust leak could that be the problem. Thanks Guys

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Check control warning is a symptom of an electrical problem.

shogun
01-13-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a technical training manual for the cluster and OBC in German language. That tells us, check control comes on, when there are faults which cannot be indicated. So what Blitzkrieg Bob says, electrical problem. The check control probably cannot communicate with the Check Control Module, that is located in the engine room left side with the fuses. Pull it out, spray with good contact cleaner, wiggle it a bit in the socket, maybe just a bad contact.
Same you should do with all the 4 plugs at the rear of the cluster.

Stomp test only works on U.S. specification cars.

vping
01-14-2009, 01:34 PM
What's the Stomp test. I have a 1990 535I and have the Check control. I posted about it a week or so ago but have yet to look into it. It's really cold out. I hope that the car sitting for 6 years did not get some rodent damage to the wiring.

tim eh?
01-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Hey Guys I am New to the BMW ayway I have a 92 bmw 525i and I cant figure out what is going on with this check control thing. I have done the stomp test and nothing shows up. I also have pushed the check control button and it say every thing is OK. But the engine will run for awhile than Die but will start right back up most of the time. Sometimes it real hard to start. I keep getting a message that says check control see owners manaul. I think I have an exhaust leak could that be the problem. Thanks Guys

what do you mean "real hard to start"?

i had a check control warning once. the battery was dying and as a result the module wasn't getting enough power. if you're lucky it's as simple as that... do a voltage test on your battery.

bad2buck
01-14-2009, 03:08 PM
I just installed a new battery...so I know it is not the battery itself. It also dies after the engine warms up....it will idle fine until I go to take off then it dies.