PDA

View Full Version : Stock Casette player problem

vping
01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
When I put a casette (I know why cassettes) into the stock radio on the 1990 535I, it changes sides many times before it finally starts to play. My MIL got me an ipod for X-mas and when I tried to use a casette adapter to play the ipod, it switches sides like the tape but never stops switching and does not play the ipod. What might be causing this? I am not looking to change the stereo at this point in the economy and the Radio portion of it sounds perfect.

whiskychaser
01-13-2009, 12:59 PM
When I put a casette (I know why cassettes) into the stock radio on the 1990 535I, it changes sides many times before it finally starts to play. My MIL got me an ipod for X-mas and when I tried to use a casette adapter to play the ipod, it switches sides like the tape but never stops switching and does not play the ipod. What might be causing this? I am not looking to change the stereo at this point in the economy and the Radio portion of it sounds perfect.

Think the problem lies with the auto reverse. There is a sensor that detects tension on the tape when it comes to the end and tells the the kit to go into reverse. You might try to clean it or try one of these cheap kits - they allow the sprockets to rotate and wont make auto reverse start:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=27793&ma=Cardiff%20-%20CD/MD/MP3%20to%20Cassette%20Adaptor

vping
01-13-2009, 01:44 PM
That's the adapter I have (similar) except mine is a panasonic. Unless there is a vast difference...I might have to get into the deck.

Jehu
01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
If the cassette is sticky and not turning freely that will do it.. Try spinning the spools to free them and get any obstrucions like crumbs etc out and maybe even drip some silicone in the hub of the cassette itself to allow it to spin freely. If does it on every tape though the problem would obviosuly be in the deck..

whiskychaser
01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
That's the adapter I have (similar) except mine is a panasonic. Unless there is a vast difference...I might have to get into the deck.

If you decide to take it out, clean out all the bits off fluff, tape and lego bricks that are in there. Power it up with 12v dc with the lid off and see if you can spot the auto reverse mechanism and sensor. My guess is you wont find a wiring diagram or manual for it. But you are only looking for a switch so that should narrow it down a hell of a lot;)