PDA

View Full Version : E34 auto trans prob

g_shok
01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
iv'e got an 90 e34, the thing has been sitting in my garage for almost 2 y ears now, reason is that the tranny seems to have no connection the the motor anymore as if the torque converter no longer engages, there was a fluid leak from the rear transfer case, but im not sure if that would have caused it or maybe it is a combination of both, the last time i had it started to get it in the garage, i nearly had to floor the gas to get it up the driveway, no power was getting to the wheels.

what could it be, and has this happened to anyone else? if its goint to cost me bick bucks to repair the tranny id rather part the car out

Ferret
01-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Check the fluid level in the box, there's plenty of descriptions in this forum if you run a search.

If she's leaked heavily and the fluid is really low, there's a good chance she's just low on fluid... however if the fluid is still high there's a good chance something else has failed and you're going to have to do some digging :)

g_shok
01-12-2009, 04:32 PM
thx will do and get updates, rather difficult since there is layers of 2 yrs of crap stored ontop of it

vping
01-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I have the same car and it was sitting for 6 years before I got her. She's doing OK and I am driving it daily but I'm going to change the filter and fluid soon. Not sure when it was done last but I'd feel better about it. I've heard that these Trans are bullet proof.

g_shok
01-13-2009, 11:05 PM
so did I, thats why i think the fact that the transfer cased leaked, i wonder if its just a matter of changing the seal and refilling the auto trans fluid

g_shok
01-26-2009, 10:21 PM
chances are, partout in the spring for those interested, keep an eye open for the thread