PDA

View Full Version : Car will not start

Jzza4
01-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Car started, then died within seconds. Attempted to start again, engine would almost turn over but stops. I was able to get the car to start twice by putting foot on the accelerator and keep reving, but died shortly after.

Battery appears to be fine. All dash lights go on, now car doesn't make any noise when key is turned.

Thoughts?

Bill R.
01-10-2009, 03:54 PM
three possibilities, main relay, fuel pump relay, or fuel pump... I would check them in that order also...

Car started, then died within seconds. Attempted to start again, engine would almost turn over but stops. I was able to get the car to start twice by putting foot on the accelerator and keep reving, but died shortly after.

Battery appears to be fine. All dash lights go on, now car doesn't make any noise when key is turned.

Thoughts?

glen-sj
01-10-2009, 04:11 PM
since the car make no noise when turning the key. I would first checked all the fuses, starting with the ones in the engine compartment, then move on to the fuses that are located under the rear seat on the left side, then move onto the fusible link located by the battery. Good luck.

Bill R.
01-10-2009, 05:03 PM
ran the battery down trying to start it , to the point where it will no longer turn over...

since the car make no noise when turning the key. I would first checked all the fuses, starting with the ones in the engine compartment, then move on to the fuses that are located under the rear seat on the left side, then move onto the fusible link located by the battery. Good luck.

bubba966
01-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Had this happen to a '95 525iT. Tried all kinds of things to fix it. New MAF, new throttle boot, new coils, rebuilt injectors, and a few other things.

Turned out to be a huge vacuum leak caused by the fitting coming from the ICV hose to the intake manifold. The retaining clip on the plastic connector had snapped off, and the ICV hose had popped out causing a huge vac leak. Local dealer had it in stock (apparently they sell a few of 'em) and it was only $6.

Part # 9 here
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=11_1124&hg=11&fg=40

It fits into the manifold directly beneath the spot that the throttle body attaches to the manifold. Pop the throttle body off and you can see it from inside the manifold. You might also be able to feel it from underneath the manifold.

I'd put that on your list of things to check...

glen-sj
01-11-2009, 09:41 AM
That is a very likely possibility. I had the same thing on my 95 530, turn key, no sound. My turned out to be blown fuses under the rear seat due to a short in the infamous wire harness on the left side of the turn.