PDA

View Full Version : cylinder head damaged in shipping.. help

infurno
01-09-2009, 03:08 PM
I received a rebuilt cylinder head in the mail but it was damaged while shipping.

Most of the pins holding the rocker arms have been damaged and or flattened.
Both of the rods have slid to one side
One of the rods slid most and all of the rocker arms on that side slid off the valves. They just knock around loose from side to side.
The metal hose connected to the cylinder head was broken off.

This thing must have been dropped out of an airplane more than once. The guy that shipped it did not insure the package.

I can scavenge parts from my old damaged head, but the rocker arms need to be reset. I called a local shop and they said that the rods have to be removed to reset rocker arms. The labor estimate they gave me is $120.00

To put it lightly I am pissed off. I bought a rebuilt head (~$500) only to have to have it rebuilt again. $#*&#@^ unbelievable.

My question is...

Why can't I remove all the pins holding the rocker arms that slipped off. Turn the camshaft manually until its in a position where the first valve slides into place. And repeat this process until all 6 rocker arms are locked back into position?

whiskychaser
01-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Even if your sender didnt 'insure' it, the carrier should have insurance anyway. The amount depends on the rules governing the mode(s) of transport. For example, if I shipped it within the UK by road, I might only get £100 per tonne ie nothing. But if I shipped it by road to Europe I'd be looking at £7000/tonne minimum. It still isnt a lot but its worth a letter. I do hope you signed for it damaged! Doesnt answer your question but if you got a bit of cash back it might make you feel a little better

Ross
01-09-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm unsure what the "pins" are. Do you mean the clips on the rocker shaft?
It sounds like this head was badly brutalized(USPS?)and a very thorough inspection is due. I'd be afraid of possible bent valve stems and cracks with this much damage.
Sorry for this buddy, it truely sucks big. Hope it works out.

Tiger
01-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I would call up the credit card company and have them handle the whole thing. I find it too hard to believe everything would be destroyed by the time it arrives in at your house.

I think the seller deliberately sabotaged this shipping to cover up his fraud.

attack eagle
01-09-2009, 10:30 PM
IT was broken when it arrived. The seller has to eat it.
Period.

the insurance is for the SELLER'S PROTECTION not yours.
IT is the biggest one of the biggest sodding scams to have the purchaser pay for shipping insurance.

It came in 'damaged in shipping' you don't owe the seller a dime.
You paid him for a functional rebuilt head, not a smashed mess.
Either the shipper he used Fubar'd it, or he did by not packaging it correctly. Either way the fight is between them, and doesn;t involve you.

Politely ask for a full refund, and if he doesn't agree CC chargeback his ass.

632 Regal
01-10-2009, 02:22 AM
i really cant imagine what is going on with the description, can you host pictures or something? not sure if it was with the shipper or the sellar at this point.

attack eagle
01-10-2009, 02:45 AM
doesn't make a red cent's difference. He owes the seller nothing.
the seller can recoup the loss from the shipper... or not.

whiskychaser
01-10-2009, 04:55 AM
Even if your sender didnt 'insure' it, the carrier should have insurance anyway. The amount depends on the rules governing the mode(s) of transport. For example, if I shipped it within the UK by road, I might only get £100 per tonne ie nothing. But if I shipped it by road to Europe I'd be looking at £7000/tonne minimum. It still isnt a lot but its worth a letter. I do hope you signed for it damaged! Doesnt answer your question but if you got a bit of cash back it might make you feel a little better

Please disregard the above. I misunderstood and took it you had bought it on an ex works basis. The sender should in fact give you a full refund and its up to them to take it up the damage/loss with the transport company. Time for a trip to the opticians

Jehu
01-10-2009, 04:57 AM
He already paid for the thing.. you think the seller is going to give his money back? LOL.. Hahahaa.. Bwaahahaa!!

Sorry just my cynical side glaring thru.. I generally have a low opinion of humanity as a whole nothing about you all , its the others...

Dave M
01-10-2009, 11:00 AM
He already paid for the thing.. you think the seller is going to give his money back? LOL.. Hahahaa.. Bwaahahaa!!

Sorry just my cynical side glaring thru.. I generally have a low opinion of humanity as a whole nothing about you all , its the others...

I think you're being quite reasonable in your assessemnt. I doubt returning the OPs $$ will be high on the sellers list. Given the chance, most would try an ingnore the problem.

However, I had an engine block shipped to me with a bent crank, which i discovered AFTER assembling and starting my M50. The seller was very accomodating and replaced he crank, payed for consumables (gaskets etc.) and shipping.

Dave

infurno
01-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your advice so far. It is the clips on the rocker shaft, pins was not the right word.

In an email I got on the 20th of December he said that he would send me the damaged parts but I have not heard back since. I sent two more emails on the 7th of this month, no reply yet. I will wait until Monday or Tuesday for a response.

Unfortunately there were no credit card companies involved in the transaction. It was through ebay and paypal, and I doubt that would make things any easier.

The guy packed it by wrapping cardboard around the head. There was nothing in between other than the thin layer of cardboard.

Here are some pictures of the damage:

http://dark-stone.com/personal/head/IMGA0568.JPG
If you look at the rocker arm in the back you can see how that entire row has slid completely to one side, jammed against the wall.

http://dark-stone.com/personal/head/IMGA0571.JPG

http://dark-stone.com/personal/head/IMGA0572.JPG

http://dark-stone.com/personal/head/IMGA0580.JPG

http://dark-stone.com/personal/head/IMGA0578.JPG
Here are the rocker arms that slid off the valves.

http://dark-stone.com/personal/head/IMGA0579.JPG

I would really like to get all my money back and get rid of this thing but I doubt that would happen. Shipping alone is $60 each way.

If I can just reset the rocker arms back into the valves I would feel a lot better. I can turn the camshaft manually and once the camshaft position reaches the most clearance for a certain valve it will slide back into place. I'm just not sure if this is a good idea. I was hoping someone here has experience rebuilding heads.

Tiger
01-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Paypal will get your money back. File a claim with them, you got 100% protection from eBay and Paypal. Do it through eBay and they will route you to Paypal side. Paypal will protect you.

infurno
01-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Paypal will get your money back. File a claim with them, you got 100% protection from eBay and Paypal. Do it through eBay and they will route you to Paypal side. Paypal will protect you.

Thanks, just filed a dispute with Paypal.

xspeedy
01-10-2009, 06:33 PM
+1 for the Paypal route.
+1 that the shipper is responsible for shipping and insuring the shipment. By default the shipper is responsible for seeing that the item arrives safely to your door.

infurno
01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
After opening the dispute with paypal I got a response pretty quick and everything has been resolved.

He is shipping me another cylinder head, hopefully packed well enough for a safe arrival. I am paying shipping again, but he said that I can keep the damaged cylinder head so I will probably sell it to some shop or recycle.

Ross
01-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Nice to hear that someone stood up and made it right.
Save the other as a wall hanging, women love it.