PDA

View Full Version : E34 1995 525i Auto Won't Start

Don_B
01-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi, hope someone can help - my 1995 525i Auto won't start. The plugs are wet so it looks like petrol is getting through, the plugs have a good spark, yet the car turns over but won't fire. My friend (who's a really good mechanic) is totally baffled, he put new plugs in, and he's taken it for a diagnostic test which showed no faults. The car's been really realiable until now, and nothing unusual has happened recently with it (although I washed it the day before, but it started no problem when I put it back in the garage). Does anyone have any ideas about what we could try?

Thanks in advance! Don:(

Russell
01-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Hold trottle down and crank engine. It may clear out the fouled plugs. These cars do not like to be started and moved without driving to warm up engine, especially in cold weather. Happened to me a few weeks ago.

Tiger
01-08-2009, 04:54 PM
This method is for flooded engine. By holding down the throttle while cranking, it tells the computer to stop squirting fuel. Once the enigne starts, let off the throttle immediately.

However, I think your problem is crank position sensor.

Ferret
01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi, hope someone can help - my 1995 525i Auto won't start. The plugs are wet so it looks like petrol is getting through, the plugs have a good spark, yet the car turns over but won't fire. My friend (who's a really good mechanic) is totally baffled, he put new plugs in, and he's taken it for a diagnostic test which showed no faults. The car's been really realiable until now, and nothing unusual has happened recently with it (although I washed it the day before, but it started no problem when I put it back in the garage). Does anyone have any ideas about what we could try?

Thanks in advance! Don:(

Oh! When you posted this on the uk forum, I totally missed what these guys are pointing at.

The 525i does not like being run for a period of less than 60-120 seconds - if you start it, move it and then immediately shut it down it leaves fuel sat in the bores and is a total swine to restart.

Keep your foot flat to the floor on the accellerator and keep cranking it - it'll eventually fire.

632 Regal
01-08-2009, 05:51 PM
not if the cylinders were fuel washed, in that case he would need to put like a tablespoon of trans fluid in each cylinder so they seal...after he unfloods it, add oil and turn it a couple cranks to distribute the oil with peddle to floor then start as normal.
Keep your foot flat to the floor on the accellerator and keep cranking it - it'll eventually fire.

Don_B
01-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for this - we've been trying to start it all week, but we'll try again, and persevere a bit more with it. Fingers crossed!

Though I usually wash it once a week or so, and move it 100 yards out of the garage, then 100 yards back - I've been doing this for several years and had no problems before, but it was very cold overnight on Sunday/Monday which may have contributed to the problem.

Russell
01-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for this - we've been trying to start it all week, but we'll try again, and persevere a bit more with it. Fingers crossed!

Though I usually wash it once a week or so, and move it 100 yards out of the garage, then 100 yards back - I've been doing this for several years and had no problems before, but it was very cold overnight on Sunday/Monday which may have contributed to the problem.

Exactly my situation. Only I backed it up 20 feet. Never a problem starting in warm weather even though it will run a bit rough

whiskychaser
01-08-2009, 06:25 PM
x1.
If you have the mysterious ' got spark, got fuel but it wont run' syndrom then do as Andy says and turn the key and put your foot to the floor; Logic dictates this should not work. But it has done for me

Don_B
01-12-2009, 05:23 PM
We finally got the car started again today - took a good five minutes of hammering it a bit, but now its running fine and seems back to normal.

So thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated!

:)