PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE to Transmission problem

Phatty5BMW
01-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey guys, Sorry for starting another post of the trans issue I have been having. I wrote ZF regarding the issue I was having about the trans not wanting to shift. Here is what they said.

Dear sir thank you for contacting ZF regarding your transmission problem. From the information you provided I am going to guess this transmission is a 1043 010 644. This would be the number on the metal id tag attached to the transmission. It’s important as it provides detail into the specific engineering of this transmission. This transmission has electronic shift control. The difference between manual mode and auto mode is strictly programming. If the transmission shifts in manual it indicates mechanically it is properly working and all the shift solenoids are also firing correctly. The fact you indicate it free wheels tells me its not receiving the correct signals to perform the next shift. One item that could affect this is the out-put speed sensor. If it’s reading incorrectly the trans controller would not realize how fast your moving and would not command the next shift. More than likely I would suspect this is not the cause as it’s a sealed sensor with no moving parts. If the vehicle was sitting why would it fail? Also the sensor is internal and should not have picked up any moisture in the plug. I would look at engine sensors. Mainly the TPS and or MAP/mass air whichever it has. The TPS may be providing a wide open signal to the trans controller. This would cause late shifts or full throttle shifts in every range and the free wheeling you are speaking of. It would also cause incorrect fuel ratio and some drivability problems. If the engine runs well I would go back to the out-put speed sensor. It is also possible corrosion has occurred at the controller connector or within the controller it self.

What do you guys think. M30 doesn't have have a TPS does it? I will have to do some research on real oem and find out if that output speed sensor is replaceable without taking the trans out and what not. What do you guys think? Any input?
TIA!!

-Pat

Bill R.
01-07-2009, 09:21 AM
throttle position sensor , but it does have a throttle position switch which performs the same functions. And yes the output speed sensor is replaceable without removing the transmission

Hey guys, Sorry for starting another post of the trans issue I have been having. I wrote ZF regarding the issue I was having about the trans not wanting to shift. Here is what they said.

Dear sir thank you for contacting ZF regarding your transmission problem. From the information you provided I am going to guess this transmission is a 1043 010 644. This would be the number on the metal id tag attached to the transmission. It’s important as it provides detail into the specific engineering of this transmission. This transmission has electronic shift control. The difference between manual mode and auto mode is strictly programming. If the transmission shifts in manual it indicates mechanically it is properly working and all the shift solenoids are also firing correctly. The fact you indicate it free wheels tells me its not receiving the correct signals to perform the next shift. One item that could affect this is the out-put speed sensor. If it’s reading incorrectly the trans controller would not realize how fast your moving and would not command the next shift. More than likely I would suspect this is not the cause as it’s a sealed sensor with no moving parts. If the vehicle was sitting why would it fail? Also the sensor is internal and should not have picked up any moisture in the plug. I would look at engine sensors. Mainly the TPS and or MAP/mass air whichever it has. The TPS may be providing a wide open signal to the trans controller. This would cause late shifts or full throttle shifts in every range and the free wheeling you are speaking of. It would also cause incorrect fuel ratio and some drivability problems. If the engine runs well I would go back to the out-put speed sensor. It is also possible corrosion has occurred at the controller connector or within the controller it self.

What do you guys think. M30 doesn't have have a TPS does it? I will have to do some research on real oem and find out if that output speed sensor is replaceable without taking the trans out and what not. What do you guys think? Any input?
TIA!!

-Pat

ryan roopnarine
01-07-2009, 09:29 AM
i know that you didn't exactly ask them to cure cancer, but that was more of a practical response than i thought you would get from them. i don't have a zf unit, but i'm mildly impressed. sorry to threadjack, but you can use this as a bump. :D

Bill R.
01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Kickdown switch that the m30 has under the gas pedal.

Phatty5BMW
01-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Kickdown switch that the m30 has under the gas pedal.

Ya, I thought about that also. Is there anything that you can do to test the TPS? what about the kick down switch? I also cant seem to find the Out-put speed sensor on the real oem diagram. do you know where to find it at?

Phatty5BMW
01-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Ya, I thought about that also. Is there anything that you can do to test the TPS? what about the kick down switch? I also cant seem to find the Out-put speed sensor on the real oem diagram. do you know where to find it at?

Would it be this? #4 04 PULSE GENERATOR 1 24341218551 $32.64 +core

whiskychaser
01-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Would it be this? #4 04 PULSE GENERATOR 1 24341218551 $32.64 +core

That's it. Used to be a write up on how to replace it on bmw.e34.net. But if your output sensor is duff, I dont understand why it doesnt go into limp mode or give transprog error message. Or why the man from ZF didnt mention it. So before you do it, I'd have your ECU and EGS codes read. Even if this does show a duff output sensor I'd still meter it out at the EGS control unit before crawling underneath

Phatty5BMW
01-09-2009, 06:07 PM
K guys, I figured it out!!! My kickdown switch was stuck!!!! What a pain in the ass!! I was gone all week so I couldn't check it out, and as to why I didn't in the first place is beyond me. I appreciate all the help I have gotten from you guys.

Tommorrow the good ol 535 is going to a new home, which better be a good one. I am going to miss that car very much, and I am already regretting selling it and its not even gone yet :(

I won't be gone though, My parents still got at 530 and a 540 so I am sure something will come up sooner or later.

So here in a few months, I will show you guys the e39 540 I will soon to get.

Like I said before, thanks for all the help, it means a lot.

Heres the last pic before she goes tommorrow morning :(

See ya for now!!

-Pat