PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Leak HELP...

The Melmaan
01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Happy New Year to all.
I have a leak on my oil pan and I was trying to identify where it is coming from. I found out that it is dripping from a something that is in the oil pan that is connected to a wire. I'm trying to identify what it is. There is a hole in the middle of the tube and it drips when the engine is running.
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii108/Melmaan/E34OilPan.jpg
The question is:
Is this normal?
What is called?
Thanks....
1993 525i....

Bill R.
01-06-2009, 04:06 PM
oil level sensor, you can replace the sensor itself if its leaking or just the Oring seal if thats leaking as seen here

Mordan
01-06-2009, 04:17 PM
oil level sensor, you can replace the sensor itself if its leaking or just the Oring seal if thats leaking as seen here

what's this program?

yaofeng
01-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Usually the o-ring on the oil level sender hardens because of heat and over time to lose seal. If you check oil periodically, the oil level sender is a redundant function. I personally think it is because it is quite often a source of oil leak.

On the other hand on my turbochargedr equipped SAAB's I think it is a mistake to remove the oil level sender which SAAB did in 1994. The oil lubricated turbocharger loses oil through the exhaust if the seal goes, sometimes unknown to the driver because the lost is undetected. Without the oil level sender to warn the driver of low oil, the next stage is potential engine damage because of starvation.

whiskychaser
01-06-2009, 06:06 PM
what's this program?
x1
I want to be able to write 'what is this and how do I fix it' too:D

The Melmaan
01-06-2009, 06:33 PM
I removed the 3 bolts that hold the unit to the pan. I pulled the unit out and cleaned the contact surface. Put some gasket maker and re-installed the thing. I did this because I thought it was just bad contact. Later on when I observed it again and I noticed that the leak is coming from a hole in the middle of the cover plate. I don't know if this is normal or why is there a hole in the middle the plate, or do I just need to replace the cover?

632 Regal
01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
What???

I removed the 3 bolts that hold the unit to the pan. I pulled the unit out and cleaned the contact surface. Put some gasket maker and re-installed the thing. I did this because I thought it was just bad contact. Later on when I observed it again and I noticed that the leak is coming from a hole in the middle of the cover plate. I don't know if this is normal or why is there a hole in the middle the plate, or do I just need to replace the cover?

Dave M
01-06-2009, 07:29 PM

The "cover plate" is simply used to guide the wiring up the side of the oil pan. My sensor does not a hole in the plate, but even if it did, it would cause a leak. The only place oil is getting out of the sensor is through the O-ring. It might be collecting beneath the plate and heading out this hole of yours, but its still sneaking past the O-ring.

Dave

Dave M
01-06-2009, 07:30 PM
If you would like to browse parts, try this (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD53&mospid=47404&btnr=11_1898&hg=11&fg=10)

Dave