PDA

View Full Version : Ferret's now got charging problems too!

Ferret
01-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Dang and blast!

After escaping through most of the winter it looks like my alternator's starting to pack in...

Does anyone know what might cause an alternator to start pulsing all the lights in the car at tickover?

My money's on the fact that it got doused in oil a while back when the v8 oil filter housing started leaking badly...

This morning on the way to work I was seeing temperatures of -4C, which is very low for the UK, and under a no load situation of just ticking over the alternator was generating ~13.5V and pulsing the lights.

When the engine was revved it would climb to about the ~14.5V mark, but after a while it would slowly slide back down into the 13s again. I think it's toast.

My plan of attack:
1) Clean the battery terminals up big time
2) Have the battery load tested, just to be sure - it's fairly new but I know my local indy has a high load tester of 3-400A - they'll test it for free.
3) Replace the new looser belt with the old much tighter belt.
4) Pull the alternator off and take it apart, give it and its terminals a good clean and run it for another week, see if the pulsing voltage has gone.
5) Admit defeat and stump £150 for a new 140A alt.

Any thoughts gents?

tim eh?
01-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Dang and blast! ....

sympathies - i only comment b/c i know you know how much i know... but i saw a truck doing this a couple of weeks ago and thought "that guy's voltage regulator is toast." anyway, good luck ferret.... if it makes you feel better, alternators are waaay cheaper there than here.

Tiger
01-06-2009, 09:15 AM
I would spray the alternator with electronic cleaner thoroughly... replace the voltage regulator and put it back on the car. I don't think you need to disassemble it.

Or if you can, clean the alternator and go to auto parts store who will test your alternator for free.

Ross
01-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Voltage regulator

whiskychaser
01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Dang and blast!

This morning on the way to work I was seeing temperatures of -4C, which is very low for the UK, and under a no load situation of just ticking over the alternator was generating ~13.5V and pulsing the lights.

When the engine was revved it would climb to about the ~14.5V mark, but after a while it would slowly slide back down into the 13s again. I think it's toast.

14.5V is high for mine but I know some run higher. At fast idle the voltages shouldnt drop if you switch on the headlights, heated rear screen etc. My guess is rectifier diode(s) as regulator seems to be doing its job. Did you really mean '~' voltages - output should of course be DC?

PS On purely selfish note, can you point me in the direction of your write up on changing the cabin filter? Cant find it :(

bsell
01-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I'll go down the road less traveled...did the belt get 'doused' in oil also? Could the oily belt be slipping under load?

If the belt is good to go, see the replies above!:D

Brian

whiskychaser
01-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I'll go down the road less traveled
Brian

Robert would be proud of you

JD525IA
01-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I had the same pulsing lights happening and had to replace the reg. last summer.

JD