PDA

View Full Version : Changing Transmission Filter/Fluid

vping
01-05-2009, 10:46 AM
How do you change the Filter/fluid in a '90 535I? The car has 142K and I do not have any records yet so not sure if it was ever done.

I'm not sure if I should worry about this or not but I'll feel more comfortable if I do so that I do have a exact date and mileage as to when it was done.

Thanks
Vince

BTW: I do have a Bentley but just thought about this question while at work. I'll check later, but figure you guys would give me a head start.

V

whiskychaser
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
How do you change the Filter/fluid in a '90 535I? The car has 142K and I do not have any records yet so not sure if it was ever done.

I'm not sure if I should worry about this or not but I'll feel more comfortable if I do so that I do have a exact date and mileage as to when it was done.

Thanks
Vince

BTW: I do have a Bentley but just thought about this question while at work. I'll check later, but figure you guys would give me a head start.

V

Depends on the box. Getting the old oil and filter out is easy. The procedure for getting the right amount back in isnt quite so simple. Check out page 3 here for an idea:
http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/import/zf_na/startseite/sso/passenger_car___light_truck/car_driveline/product_catalog/5HP18.pdf

Ross
01-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Just do it. You have the ZF 4HP22. It has real drain plug and dipstick, is easy to service and uses good old cheap Dexron fluid.
Watch for badly corroded trans pan bolts, soak 'em good with penetrating oil as they have a tendancy to snap off.

Bill R.
01-05-2009, 11:37 AM
car if you want to change the filter/screen as well and clean out the pan.http://bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Automatic+flush

Rus
01-06-2009, 02:42 PM
vping,

The 535 is real easy to change ATF on. One thing I've learned is that when you do the full filter service, buy extra fluid. My tranny ate up about 3 times more than I anticipated on the first fluid change I did. Also, get that pan sparkling clean and remove any gunk from the magnets. Take care not to strip the bolts retaining the pan and you should be a-ok. My baby has progressively become smoother with several fluid changes. HTH