PDA

View Full Version : Winfred, Wm. Rickard, et al, lack the technical finesse..

ryan roopnarine
01-02-2009, 07:39 PM
to run with my crew. In the past two days, I've killed a mediocre and a 2 brand new output shaft seals (end of transmission). The transmission I got from vines had a broke-d*ck looking one, and I had an extra sitting in my transmission rebuild kit. i go to pull the old one with a seal puller, which was a bear, but got it out. i know enough not to try to leverage it against the bearing, but i had to f*#k it up to get it out. at this point, i can't find a socket with an end hole (1/2 won't cut it) big enough to use as a seal driver, at which point i get my einstein moment. i realise that the gap between the output flange and the transmission is tight, but is about the same as the width of one of the seals. i take out the flange, place the new one in the correct orientation, place the old one behind it, and proceed to have the flange drive the seal home.

at this point, i feel like the king of the world, the most clever SOB that ever lived, until i take the flange off. i see that all of the gouges that i placed in the old seal with the seal puller have imprinted themselves into the new one. i pack everything up, as it is new year's, and no one was open. this morning, after obtaining the new seal, i proceed to use the old reliable block of wood and hammer method to install it. i'm going very carefully, and slowly, when i take a quick look behind the seal. the roller bearing on the transmission vines sold me was screwed up in a way that I could not have possibly done with mah seel puller. getting agitated, i remove the tail end of my old transmission, and slap it onto the new one, solving the problem.

oh, and don't use cheap transmission rebuild kits, the guy after you won't appreciate the burned on gaskets that he has to solvent bathe to get off.

632 Regal
01-02-2009, 08:38 PM
congratulations at getting er done! The old extension is wasted?

winfred
01-02-2009, 08:38 PM
welcome to my world :D cept i am usually cleaning up the cluster ****

ryan roopnarine
01-02-2009, 08:52 PM
congratulations at getting er done! The old extension is wasted?

there was nothing wrong with the end on my old transmission. vines sold me a gm 4l30e with a e36 sized flange on it after i specifically asked them if it was bolt up for a e34 (in two different emails). i guess i'm grateful that the seal was shabby looking on the vines one, otherwise i would have been using the f'd up bearing all along, probably having it die in traffic or someplace inconvenient.