PDA

View Full Version : clicking noise coming from front wheel

joshman354
01-02-2009, 06:04 AM
hi guys, i have a 89 535i and i just changed the brake calipers, and brake pads, but whenever i got through drive thurs or just sit a little bit and drive a clicking noise starts and doesnt stop usually into i get to a certain speed, it can get pretty annoying, and also when i make a slight turn left ill hear a faint clicking sound just not as loud, i hope someone knows whats wrong, thanks

Bill R.
01-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Or should i say machined?

hi guys, i have a 89 535i and i just changed the brake calipers, and brake pads, but whenever i got through drive thurs or just sit a little bit and drive a clicking noise starts and doesnt stop usually into i get to a certain speed, it can get pretty annoying, and also when i make a slight turn left ill hear a faint clicking sound just not as loud, i hope someone knows whats wrong, thanks

joshman354
01-02-2009, 09:11 AM
yea i got those done too, they were warped tho so we had to turn them

Bill R.
01-02-2009, 09:48 AM
a grinder, then if their tool bit wasn't sharp it will cut a groove just like an LP record has, the pads will follow that grooved until they hit the edge of the caliper then bounce back, each time it hits the caliper it goes click... Its always a good idea to replace bmw rotors rather than machine, I'm finding very few places nowdays with people and equipment capable of doing a good job of machining rotors

yea i got those done too, they were warped tho so we had to turn them

mikell
01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Is this a braking thing, or anytime the car is rolling? It could be a bearing if it happens without braking. If it is a bearing, get at it before it siezes. I am assuming it's coming from the front, correct?

joshman354
01-02-2009, 12:52 PM
yea it seems to happen usually after i hold the brake for a while or put it in park for 5mintues and then go and yes its coming from the front

632 Regal
01-02-2009, 06:01 PM
have a rock in the tread?

joshman354
01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
no i dont have a rock, i was thinking it was the wheel bearing but im not too sure enough to go out and buy a new one and fix it

mikell
01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
How about you jack up the front end and roll the wheels by hand and see what you hear? You can also jiggle each wheel to seeif there is play side to side. If its a bearing that's gone all loose on you, you'll likely be able to hear or feel something, while you probably won't hear antything if it's a brake whilst truning it by hand.

632 Regal
01-05-2009, 10:29 PM
bearings dont usually click they will have more of a grinding sound. Did you check Bills suggestion?