PDA

View Full Version : Is converting an auto 535i to a manual hard?

5verflyatl
12-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey ya'll

I love a 5speed 5 series...preferbly (the model underneath m series) it gives good performance but yet is easier to maintain than an M5. Anyway I know this is only an opinion so ....moving on. I hooked up my e28, with rims suspension all the good stuffI also had plans to turbo charge it but after college I needed something a little more realiable because I had a 180 mile daily commute at one time. So with that I ended up buying 97 540i manual(e39) and I let my little brother borrow my e28 since he loved it so much...anyway I have a chance to get a really nice 94 535i auto...and I wanted to know how hard would it be to either put a 5 speed tranny in it...the reason I ask is because my little brother really loves e34s but only likes stick shift as well....the sooner I can make that happen for him . I can get my e28 back and start my long awaited turbo project....So I ask...how hard is the task of converting an e34...?

Bill R.
12-31-2008, 11:30 PM
year for the e34 535... Don Gale has the procedure on his page for an e32, which is essentially the same procedure for the e34
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_2.htm (http://www.nmia.com/%7Edgnrg/page_2.htm)

Hey ya'll

I love a 5speed 5 series...preferbly (the model underneath m series) it gives good performance but yet is easier to maintain than an M5. Anyway I know this is only an opinion so ....moving on. I hooked up my e28, with rims suspension all the good stuffI also had plans to turbo charge it but after college I needed something a little more realiable because I had a 180 mile daily commute at one time. So with that I ended up buying 97 540i manual(e39) and I let my little brother borrow my e28 since he loved it so much...anyway I have a chance to get a really nice 94 535i auto...and I wanted to know how hard would it be to either put a 5 speed tranny in it...the reason I ask is because my little brother really loves e34s but only likes stick shift as well....the sooner I can make that happen for him . I can get my e28 back and start my long awaited turbo project....So I ask...how hard is the task of converting an e34...?

attack eagle
01-03-2009, 05:15 AM
not hard at all...