PDA

View Full Version : "Check Brake Lining" sign on & brake light on - Guidance Pls

rufryder
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM
I was backing up my car in the driveway, with steering wheels turned all the way, I heard a click (think on the front of the vehicle) and then immediately I have the brake light sign on & the LCD displaying, "check brake lining."

After doing some research, it states its right next to the brake sensor & check again, however I think due to the noise (quite loud), it may have cracked or something. So, which part do I purchase & be prepared for it if it needs be. Oh, and, is it still safe to drive on the highway with that light?

side note: I have done the brakes myself about 5k miles ago.

Thanks for your help in advance.

whiskychaser
12-30-2008, 06:15 PM
I was backing up my car in the driveway, with steering wheels turned all the way, I heard a click (think on the front of the vehicle) and then immediately I have the brake light sign on & the LCD displaying, "check brake lining."

After doing some research, it states its right next to the brake sensor & check again, however I think due to the noise (quite loud), it may have cracked or something. So, which part do I purchase & be prepared for it if it needs be. Oh, and, is it still safe to drive on the highway with that light?

side note: I have done the brakes myself about 5k miles ago.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dont know about the click. Check your brake linings dont in fact need replacing. If they are worn low they wreck the sensor. Today's price is £11.38If not, the yellow coated sensor lead can fray against the inside of the wheel rim and the sensor down lead frays against the front shock. Its a simple circuit where any break will cause the warning to come on. Check your left front and right rear first - thats where the sensors live

Ross
12-30-2008, 06:35 PM
"click" was likely the sensor wire on the LF brake snapping.

DaveVoorhis
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Kids/dogs/squirrels store rocks/sticks/nuts in the wheel whilst parked and the rubbish rips off the sensor leads when you drive away.

ScottyWM
12-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Also, make sure you route the sensor wire thru the loop in the bleeder cover so that it won't touch anything that gets hot when brakes are applied.