PDA

View Full Version : 90 525, e34 M20 Oil Leak

JShep
12-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Interested in others expereinces in solving a leaking oil problem. I did search the forum for some information - looked at the thread with the instructions for replacing the intake manifold gaskets and oil pan breather tube seals - very informative and made this effort easy.

Has anyone ever replaced the oil pan gasket, while the engine was in the car? I noticed a procedure for this on a e30 site (m20 engine)

I am think now that it may be the head gasket (174K miles), as I am losing some coolant over time also - luckily enough, not into the oil pan!

I have also thought about replacing the seal on the oil level sensor - haven't gotten to it yet - is this difficult?

Appreciate all the help

M20B25power
12-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Has the car overheated before?

JShep
12-30-2008, 10:57 AM
No, it has not overheated.
My observation is that the cover where the distributor was on the early style engines, fills with oil (the top of the cover is dished so it has a little well to collect "stuff")
Oil maybe running down some of the hoses / wires and dripping into this area. Are there any external oil lines that could leak? (remember that I have replaced both upper and lower seals on the crankcase vent tube. the intake manifold gaskets and the gasket for the old distributor cover - I have not replaced the seal on the oil level sensor as of yet)

I thought I had solved the problem with the intake manifold gaskests - they were brittle and the critical "middle" gasket (cylinders 3 and 4) seemed to be cracked - it has a passage way for oil based on my observation)

How hard is to to replace the oil level sensor seal - I beleive it is an o-ring.

Appreicate you response and insight

BMWCCA1
12-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Oil leaks from the head gasket on the M20 is very common. Usually the entire block gets coated with crud attracted to the oil. Steam clean then check. I'm not aware of any oil running through the intake manifold, but then I don't own an M20. Sold many, don't want to own one.

JShep
01-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Oil leaks from the head gasket on the M20 is very common. Usually the entire block gets coated with crud attracted to the oil. Steam clean then check. I'm not aware of any oil running through the intake manifold, but then I don't own an M20. Sold many, don't want to own one.

Thanks, appreciate the insight. I noticed another thread regarding a head gasket replacement procedure. Sounds like quite abit of effort, but if it stops the leaking it would be worth it.

Thanks