PDA

View Full Version : Need some stupid quick help (battery vent hose location)

E34 530
12-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Installed a 49dl in the car, went to hook up the new vent hose and I accidently pulled the hose that comes with the car and can't seem to find the location where it goes. Anyone wanna help me out with a pic where this thing goes?

Tiger
12-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Take battery out to see it. Use flash light and you will get the idea. You are supposed to use the battery kit hose in addition to the factory hose.

E34 530
12-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Take battery out to see it. Use flash light and you will get the idea. You are supposed to use the battery kit hose in addition to the factory hose.

yeah I know, the hose the battery came with was kinda short so pulled on the hose that comes with the car a little bit and it came right out.

glen-sj
12-27-2008, 10:33 AM
The battery vent hose on the E34 530 is located in the upper right corner (looking front)of the battery compartment under the rear seat, there should be a grommet in the floor in that corner, could be obstructed by the alarm wire bundle, carefully lift the wire bundle up and away and you should see the gromment for the vent tube tucked in the corner.

E34 530
12-27-2008, 11:15 AM
The battery vent hose on the E34 530 is located in the upper right corner (looking front)of the battery compartment under the rear seat, there should be a grommet in the floor in that corner, could be obstructed by the alarm wire bundle, carefully lift the wire bundle up and away and you should see the gromment for the vent tube tucked in the corner.

Is it under the battery, do I have to take it out?

Jr ///M5
12-27-2008, 11:33 AM
You can see the grommet from under the car. It's located at the upper right hand side of the battery.

glen-sj
12-27-2008, 11:46 AM
No. It is not under the battery, it is next to the right of the battery. Removable of the battery will make it easy to see and locate the rubber gromment.

Jehu
12-27-2008, 01:42 PM
I just replaced my battery and encounter no vent hose... am I perhaps sucking on lead fumes now if this hose isn't set up correctly? The old battery didn't have any hose ...

E34 530
12-27-2008, 01:48 PM
wow I'm retarded, I failed to pull back that little piece of carpeting, it was right in front of my face the whole time, anyways thanks guys.

Bill R.
12-27-2008, 07:02 PM
lead acid batteries generate hydrogen when charging.... when you have a stray spark and hydrogen together it will go boom.....Had this happen to me once on a customers old beetle back when the battery was under the back seat.. Covered me in battery acid, the headliner,the seats , most of the interior when the battery exploded... So its a good idea to vent that hydrogen outside instead of letting it buildup under the seat.

I just replaced my battery and encounter no vent hose... am I perhaps sucking on lead fumes now if this hose isn't set up correctly? The old battery didn't have any hose ...

Ross
12-30-2008, 08:52 AM
lead acid batteries generate hydrogen when charging.... when you have a stray spark and hydrogen together it will go boom.....Had this happen to me once on a customers old beetle back when the battery was under the back seat.. Covered me in battery acid, the headliner,the seats , most of the interior when the battery exploded... So its a good idea to vent that hydrogen outside instead of letting it buildup under the seat.
Not to mention all those gasses seem to promote corrosion. There are lots of expensive electronics sharing the space under the rear seat.

Tiger
12-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Also Sufuric acid gas... ya know... rotten egg smell? Perhaps this is what Seinfeld was smelling in his car that he can't get rid of... or was it crayola crayon smell... or was it really someone's BO?

whiskychaser
12-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Also Sufuric acid gas... ya know... rotten egg smell? Perhaps this is what Seinfeld was smelling in his car that he can't get rid of... or was it crayola crayon smell... or was it really someone's BO?

Er.. sulphuric acid doesnt have a bad egg smell - thats hydrogen sulphide. Not clear how that would be created when lead acid batteries only give off hydrogen/oxygen - and they dont smell :D A piece of information I find invaluable is that while battery acid (35%) will put a hole in your bodywork, higher concentrations eg 95% wont attack it. Just thought I'd share;)