PDA

View Full Version : How many members have stores

Kibokojoe
12-27-2008, 10:05 AM
The other day I was looking for a hinge for my Gas flap and I was told that Gale had them for sale. This got me to thinking how many members here have items to purchase? Cup holders? Hinges? Door handle gaskets etc///. I know there is always someone selling used parts but I am talking about new components.

shogun
12-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Well, store is not the right word, but I buy other stuff in larger quantities such as SRS airbag reset tools, door handle gaskets, headliner material and other things.
Started out when I was selected by our group of shade tree mechanics to order parts from overseas, which are not available here in Japan or much more expensive.
With the large quantities I try to get a discount. All parts are distributed among us at cost plus a handling fee, the rest is sold here in the auction house to finance our common tool stock.
For example the SRS reset tool became very popular among Japanese indy shops, as there is no such simple unit available for the older BMW except the much more expensive DIS which BMW is using. Same is with the outer door handle gaskets, I buy them in large lots. Then I have a role of 30 meters headliner material here. 10 fuel pumps for the E32 750, distributors and caps. But it is also risky, you have to buy large quantities and may have those items on stock for a long time or maybe you never sell them.
I also imported Hella black headlights directy from Germany, now I will import Pentosin in large quantities.
Gale is making for example the banjo bolts with the securing wire and is selling them. Then the gas hinges are probably items he bought in excess.
In the end it is much work, buying, importing, customs handling charges, import duties, financing, risk of currency exchange rates and so on.
For example I bought a lot of Meyle parts from Germany at a (then) good price in EURO. But at the time I bought them, the EURO was very strong, so I had to pay a lot of Yen. 1 EURO 160-165 Yen. Meanwhile the EURO became much weaker, about 120-125 Yen. So I was sitting on (for me) expensive stuff no one in Japan was willing to pay for what I had paid for half a year ago. That was a loss......
You will not get rich with that, sometimes you lose money, it is more a hobby.And a lot of work.

Kibokojoe
12-27-2008, 07:10 PM
So if you are not a store it sounds like a volatile warehouse :) But in any case it sounds like there are only two of you.

Mordan
12-28-2008, 06:18 AM
i don't have the place yet

but if I had a big garage I would buy wrecked cars and resell parts. I know a guy who does it and it is fun.