PDA

View Full Version : engine heat and clutch bearing sound, marbles on my tranny

dca
06-03-2004, 06:15 AM
dear friends this afternoon when I stop the car I realized that there is a sound under car. it was a tickling sound. I pressed to clutch pedal and it was gone. I understand that it is bearing. Then my father moved the car and I walk close to the car and when moving there is no such sound only when gearsn neutral position. suddenly I realized that engine heat was so high and it was close to red region. I waited nothing happened. it was standing still right close to red region. I opened heat inside cabin the engine temp decreased. when I turn of heat dials off, it clibed up again. Sound was still there. then when it was neutral I tried to rev the engine up aroun 4000 rpm and gauge showed that heat decreased to normal. then it stayed little bit above the normal marker. when I press clutch pedal sound is dissapearing and temperature decreases little bit and reaches to the normal marker when I remove my foot it moves little up and at the same time sound is persistent. what do you thing? fan is working water is enough inside radiator.performance and on road condition of my car is very nice. but differently when that sound is coming car is vibratin during idling.

can only a simple bearing cause this problem? I replaced water pump 20000 km before. now my car is showing 130000 km on its odometer and it is in very good condition. clutch has never been changed before. but there is no problem in acceleration shifting or during engine braking. it is 94 make e34 520i m50 .

this morning I realized that there is no noise and no vibration. may be when car is heated, this is causing enlargement on some parts and this is causing problems?

bimmerd00d
06-03-2004, 09:08 AM
it is your throwout bearing. Save up for a new clutch and maybe a flywheel if you are interested in a lightened one, as you'll have to remove the clutch to replace the throwout bearing. Your flywheel is fine, but it's a good time to upgrade it if you so desire. Clutch kit from BMA is about $240-250 US. Good luck!

dca
06-03-2004, 09:24 AM
thank you for reply,if it is just a bearing no problem. clutch is still good. and because of being in europe, Turkey, I can find cheaper kits for my car. I dont think I can find a different flywheel than orginal. But what can be the advantage of using a lightened flywheel?

Unregistered
06-14-2004, 02:41 AM
I have this exact problem, although it's in my 1989 Mercedes Benz 260E. Please let me know if changing the throwout bearing (is this the same as the release bearing?) solves it.

dca
06-14-2004, 02:56 AM
I have this exact problem, although it's in my 1989 Mercedes Benz 260E. Please let me know if changing the throwout bearing (is this the same as the release bearing?) solves it.

we replaced thermostate, because of air pockets inside radiator it was heated, because of excess heat transmission fluids were thinner and they were lack of lubricating property. that is why I heard the noise then when it is cool there is no noise.

on the other hand if problem is not related to thermostate or air pockets or fan,this may be related to clutch z plug bearing (we called this so in Turkey), this is the other end of the transmission have.(other end is clutch bearing).

ps:we put 80 degree celcius termostate instead of 88.