PDA

View Full Version : Highbeams and fog do not work

barry 90 525i
12-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi, 95 540/A, high beams and foglights do not work, highbeam symbol comes on when stalk is pressed fwd. No message for either. No symbol for fog either. Changed to extra LKM i had, no help, do not see any blown fuses, thanks for any help

632 Regal
12-23-2008, 08:40 PM
no dash messages at all even with lights off?

BMWDriver
12-24-2008, 01:55 AM
I know for my Canadian version that mine won't turn on either unless I flip the switch to "turn on" the lights. Since they are on all of the time as is required by Canadian regulations, I remember being on the highway at night trying to get the high beams to work. They would flash when I pulled the lever, but no dice when sending it forward.

In other words, I have lights on on the off position.

The fogs won't turn on either unless on "park" or "on".

So my lights switch can be left on the off position at night when I drive, which is kind of convenient in that I can't forget to turn them on at dusk.

Ross
12-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Look again at fuse 3. No power to that side of the switch(term 11 grn/yw wire) is the only circumstance I can think of to cause these syptoms.

barry 90 525i
12-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Changed fuse 3, no help.There are no messages. Swapped LKM from my other 540, no help.What do they have in common? thanks

632 Regal
12-24-2008, 09:00 PM
check for voltage at fuse 13 terminals with the car on and high beams on.

Changed fuse 3, no help.There are no messages. Swapped LKM from my other 540, no help.What do they have in common? thanks

Ross
12-26-2008, 12:30 PM
I suggested #3 because you mention the high beam symbol illuminates when the syalk is moved forward into the high position. I also assumed that it does not when pulled back for the flash position. The flash position is fed by a seperate fuse,#3, to enable flashing with lights off.
Given power to the high beam switch I'd investigate the headlight switch for continuity between terms. 4 &11(in the on position) or an interruption in the yel/vio wire between HL switch term. 4 and the fog switch term. 2