PDA

View Full Version : bmw e34

v6nik
12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
hi, i have been doing some overdue work on my e34. front shocks track rod ends lower arms etc... can anyone please tell me what symptoms i would get if the front anti roll bar link arms need replacing. every 10 to 20 miles or so it feels as if one of the front wheels are buckled and car bobbles about .had all wheels and tyres checked and are ok. its doing my head in, any info would be greatly appreciated.. many thanks.. v6

Tiger
12-23-2008, 11:38 AM
If it looks old, change it. It is that simple... the sway bar links is the easiest item to change and yield massive improvement in traction and stability.

Front sway bar would clunk with a hard pothole or bump. Sounds like you broke something and tooth fillings would loosen up.

Rear... just look at the rubber where the sway bar goes in... if it is cracked, change it. If it still says BMW and look old on it... you definitely have to change it.

v6nik
12-23-2008, 01:30 PM
If it looks old, change it. It is that simple... the sway bar links is the easiest item to change and yield massive improvement in traction and stability.

Front sway bar would clunk with a hard pothole or bump. Sounds like you broke something and tooth fillings would loosen up.

Rear... just look at the rubber where the sway bar goes in... if it is cracked, change it. If it still says BMW and look old on it... you definitely have to change it.
thanks very much for reply,i have priced the anti roll bar links up and will replace them,as you say their easy to fit and cheap. cannot really think of anything else as the whole front bushes and suspension has been renewed. thanks again and merry christmas....v6

Mordan
12-25-2008, 05:05 PM

i do have those symptoms in front. do I have to change the sway bar or only the links?

I don't understand whether the sway bar itself wears or not.

whiskychaser
12-25-2008, 06:58 PM
i do have those symptoms in front. do I have to change the sway bar or only the links?

I don't understand whether the sway bar itself wears or not.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=31_0045&hg=31&fg=10

I'd replace the links only (part 6). If the rubber bushes (part 2) look bad maybe those too while you are in there. But I doubt there is any need to replace the bar itself (part 1)