PDA

View Full Version : Heater flaps? Ideas?

Geğrven'
12-21-2008, 01:29 PM
The defrost vents are controlled by a bowden cable, making them more reliable than the foot vents controlled by stepper motors, but I've had mine get stuck. In my case, it was some of the foam lining the duct joins that got loose and jammed a flap somewhere. That, or it could be related to the two-zone climate system not working on one side; how's the heating/cooling/venting on the face and foot vents? If they're all wonky on one side, that'd be your problem.

Black 535i
12-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Wher was your problem located or fixed?

Black 535i
12-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Of course I noticed this morning in 0F weather in Chicago. With the defroster on, I have the front window being defrosted only on the passenger side. That side is all clear after one minute and the driver side only has the bottom 2-3" clear and the door vents are not blowing warm either. Any suggestions? I was thinking the heater flap is stuck open/closed? Anyone else have any ideas? I had a nnew blower motor put in last winter. Not the end of the world but I hate looking under the frosty part of the windshield to see where I am going.

Luftpost
12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
You did not mention the three horizontal levers that control airflow. The top one should be all the way to the right (open), and the other two to the left (closed).

Can you feel air coming from the appropriate vents? I also like to turn the compressor on (A/C) with the heat on. That way I get warm dry conditioned air blowing on the moist surfaces to be cleared.

Those are the obvious things.....

Now the not so obvious. Last year the squirl cage fan under the dash below the windshield popped out of its mounts and quite working. It was easy to get to, and fix though.

Those are my initial first thoughts.

L

Black 535i
12-22-2008, 12:19 PM
And still I had no great defrosting working on the driver's side. Tried fiddling with a/c settings and blowing hot air that way but no go so far. Never paid attention to the a/c coolness in the summer as it seemed okay then.