PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation at take off

vping
12-21-2008, 11:05 AM
When I give it gave it hesitates as if it wants to die but never does. Then full power. It's not horrible but I'd the response instantly. What could it be? I've only replaced plugs but it happend before the plugs so I know it is not that. I only replaced the plugs cause the gas was so old, (not gummy though) I felt the new plugs would help it run a bit better.

Rus
12-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Does this issue tend to happen when the engine is cold? I had a similar hesitation problem shortly after starting the engine in the morning. Replaced everything from spark plugs to the fuel injectors. In the end, my crankshaft position sensor failed and I replaced it. The hesitation suddenly disappeared. My guess is that the CPS was dying and wasn't sending a good signal to the ECU when it was cold. Once warmed up it straightened out. The engine runs generally smoother after the new CPS was installed. Try checking the CPS according to the Bentley instructions. HTH

vping
12-25-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm waiting on the Bentley to come in the mail. What the breif description on changing it and what do they usually cost?

Rus
12-25-2008, 11:24 AM
I believe from the dealer the sensor can be had for about $100. Aftermarket can be had for around $50 if memory serves me right. To replace it, I removed the cooling fan and used an allen wrench to loosen the one bolt that holds the sensor to its bracket. Then you just trace the wire up to the injector wiring harness where it plugs in via a rectangular plug. There are two plugs there which are identical. If I remember correctly, the sensor is the one closer to the firewall. Remove the wire from the engine's bowels (its pretty tangled in there) and fish through the new wire for the new sensor. Reinstall sensor in bracket and make doubly sure that it is not hitting the timing wheel. There should be about 1 mm airgap. Total time to replace: 10 minutes (if you are familiar with ripping apart the engine :) ) HTH

vping
12-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Going to see if it does it after it warms up and determine if that is what I need to do. Thanks.