PDA

View Full Version : '95 525i EWS/DME misalignment fixed

pcross
12-19-2008, 11:17 PM
I had my beemer towed to the dealer 50 miles away and they hooked it up to their GT-1 diagnostic equipment and performed a EWS/DME re-sync for $148.00. The car now starts just fine. My question: Does anyone have an idea about how these two modules suddenly become misaligned? I have a factory installed remote lock/unlock system that I'm now afraid to use anymore because I have heard (urban legend?) that it can sometimes cause a conflict with the imobilizer system. Also, although I know that the EWS can be bypassed by installing a remote starter setup, does anyone know a way to completely bypass and eliminate the imobilizer system? I hate the damn thing.

filmy540i/6
12-20-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm almost certain that you can simply pull the EWSII chip from the DME. What it looks like, I have no idea. From what Mark D'Sylva (who makes EAT performance chips) tells me, the earlier DME is the same as the later (EWSII) DME, except that EWSII chip isn't there. Don't recall the DME code numbers, but it makes complete sense.

Or you could likely just use a pre-'95 (non EWSII) DME. Easy to try if you can get a spare.

pcross
12-21-2008, 02:28 PM
filmy540i/6....Although pulling chips out of the DME scares the hell out of me, I'll definitely research your suggestion further. Thanks for the input.