PDA

View Full Version : winter tires-What brand?

Russell
12-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Anyone use Firestone winterforce tires on their e34. I am considering the 205x65x15 size on stock crossspoke wheels.

I keep hearing blizzaks are not real worth the extra money unless you are in aress that are snow covered all the time as they wear out fast on pavement. TIA

Black 535i
12-19-2008, 09:26 AM
These are the two biggest issues. I have had my Hakkapellitta 5's on for a month but I live in Chicago and we just got another 6" last night. There is nothing wrong with Blizzaks. My last ones lasted 4 seasons here in Chicago. Just make sure you by what you need for the area. Try to also mount them on dedicated rims so you do not stretch them by mounting and unmounting them each season. Be prepared to see a lesser selection or availability this year due to some shortages. These are caused by the province of Quebec making snow tires mandatory this year which has caused a shortage in Canada and is now trickling into the USA. Hope this helps.

Tiger
12-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Mandatory?! Wow... No wonder the price is high for Hakka over here in US.

Russell
12-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Lexington, Ky. Ice is primary issue as we get a lot of the freeze/thaw cycle. Commute every day in the car and expect mostly dry or wet pavement inadditon slush, fresh snow and ice.

Yes it does help. I see now why there is more limited availability

Tiger
12-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Nokian Hakka is my favorite... the studless type. They last super long time and awesome traction. I had Bridgestone Blizzaks before I learned about Nokian. The Blizzaks has great tractions but wears out fast (you only got half a tread for snow tires and the rest is basically all season tire) and the steering feeling is very numb. I don't know about their latest one but I am sure they improved the steering response.

I heard people are happy with Dunlop Graspics... they are cheap and has plastic fibers in it to act like a soft spike... something like that. My cousin has them in NH and he thinks they are good. His first snow tires was Blizzak and he couldn't believe the amount of traction over all season tires.

BennyM
12-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I have gone through 3 sets of blizzack snow tires. They are life savers during fresh snows when the plows haven't arrived yet. I used to get stuck all the time with all-season Michelins, but never with the Blizzacks. Oddly, they're great on snow and pretty good on ice, but worse than all-season tires in the rain. Go figure.

I once heard someone describe them quite aptly by saying "it's like driving on Nerf Balls." It doesn't take long to get used to the added softness though. I've heard the Nokians are the bomb, but I've never been able to justify the extra cost. And they're often sold out in my area.

Washburn
12-19-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm on Blizzaks now, and find them disappointing. Not too bad in snow, but terrible on ice. Nokian's rule on ice, and are way bettr in snow too. A little spendy though.

Sam-Son
12-19-2008, 01:55 PM
blizzaks are very soft and wear kinda fast I just bought some for my car about a month or so ago.....now we just got hit with our first big snowstorm of the year

I love my blizzaks

Mr._Graybeard
12-19-2008, 02:46 PM
As long as nobody has mentioned them yet, Michelin X-Ice isn't a bad tire. I've used them on my '82 300td with good results. It handles fairly deep snow well, acceptable on icy surfaces and provides good braking. It also wears well. It's one weakness, IME, is lateral traction while turning in an intersection.

That said, my daily snow car has Nokian Hakkapeliitta Qs on it; my wife's car, Hakka RSIs.

I'm about to head to work. We got 11 inches of snow overnight.

tim eh?
12-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Mandatory?! Wow... No wonder the price is high for Hakka over here in US.

yes, as of december 15th for cars and light trucks - you think they are expensive there?!?

+1 (times a zillion) on nokians... you get what you pay for - i have hakka5s but i didn't have them studded. they are awesome, really.

a lot of people around here recommend blizzaks too. winter driving is pretty hardcore here tho, you might not need to go all out in kentucky.

i would also recommend 205/65 if you are on 15"s and 35psi all around and throw 10 or 20 kilos of sand or salt in the trunk... some might very well disagree with me... there is an old thread on winter tire pressure somewhere...

Scott C
12-19-2008, 05:53 PM
blizzaks are very soft and wear kinda fast I just bought some for my car about a month or so ago.....now we just got hit with our first big snowstorm of the year

I love my blizzaks

I have had mine for over 4 seasons where I drive them about 3K miles each winter.....

They hardly show any wear and work so beautifully. I am going out tonight to dinner with absolutely no fear of the ice/snow that has dumped 6" so far since 1pm.

Scott

Sam-Son
12-19-2008, 08:15 PM
I have had mine for over 4 seasons where I drive them about 3K miles each winter.....

They hardly show any wear and work so beautifully. I am going out tonight to dinner with absolutely no fear of the ice/snow that has dumped 6" so far since 1pm.

Scott

wow 4 seasons? whew ..great...People keep telling me they wear out after about 2 seasons....which would suck
I had to run some errands today and while most everyone else was sliding all over the place my RWD 14yrold Bimmer was as sure footed as ever and i didnt even need the ASC+T
these Blizzaks work wonders....anybody thinking about snow tires dont piss about Just go buy some

Russell
12-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks I appreciate the advice. My area is sort of on the edge of needing winter tires.

bad_manners_god
12-19-2008, 10:29 PM
I install tires day in and day out, it's slowed down alot but there are still some people testing the law. We already had 1 guy come in with a ticket in his hand and asked to order snow tires....275$ later for the ticket and another 115$/tire he wasn't such a happy camper.

Tires I would recommend:

Semperit Ice-Grip (can be studded): Very nice tires, great traction, not too soft
Semperit Speed-Grip (cannot be studded): Very deep thread, great traction
Goodyear UltraGrip/Ultra Grip Ice (Can be studded): Very deep threads, great traction.
Michelin X-Ice (Cannot be studded): Very soft tire, good braking traction
Nokian Hakka (Can be studded): Great Tires, Soft Tire, Nice Deep Thread
Dunlop Graspic 2: Very soft, Micro Rubber's that flex to grab the snow

So-So Recommendations:

Bridgestone Blizzak: Good Tire overall but wears out too fast

Not Recommended:

Michlen Alpin: Very hard tire, Slides like crazy
Cheap Japenese tires in general, terrible on snow and ice
Nexen Winguard 231: GARBAGE, terrible to inflate, slides on water nevermind snow

Name some other tires.

tim eh?
12-20-2008, 01:09 AM
We already had 1 guy come in with a ticket in his hand and asked to order snow tires....275$ later for the ticket and another 115$/tire he wasn't such a happy camper.

i bet he bought the cheapest tires you had. probably got the ticket because he was blocking traffic or had pulled some bonehead move in front of a cop - i don't think they're going to give a ticket to someone who's "taking it to the garage right now, sir, the tires i ordered last month just arrived"

bsell
12-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Anyone use Firestone winterforce tires on their e34. I am considering the 205x65x15 size on stock crossspoke wheels.

I keep hearing blizzaks are not real worth the extra money unless you are in aress that are snow covered all the time as they wear out fast on pavement. TIA

I have a set on my '08 E90 and man, they make you feel like a ralley car driver on gravel while driving at speed on pavement! The E90 has the sport suspension and these full-on snow tires 'walk' all over the place at autobahn speeds.

Granted they are 'S' speed rated, but still, I have to be hyper-cautious about quickish wheel movements, otherwise the ass-end wants to step out. And yes, I am staying under the 112 mph rating.

Also, the wind blast from large cars and trucks push me around now. I don't have this problem at all with the OEM run-flat, 'summer' tires.

These 'winterforce' tires had better chew through the nastiest snow as they drive like knobby tires on a motorcycle...the sounds these knobbies make are rather interesting at slow speeds but not too bad for what they are when going faster.

Brian

Russell
12-20-2008, 01:24 PM
I have a set on my '08 E90 and man, they make you feel like a ralley car driver on gravel while driving at speed on pavement! The E90 has the sport suspension and these full-on snow tires 'walk' all over the place at autobahn speeds.

Granted they are 'S' speed rated, but still, I have to be hyper-cautious about quickish wheel movements, otherwise the ass-end wants to step out. And yes, I am staying under the 112 mph rating.

Also, the wind blast from large cars and trucks push me around now. I don't have this problem at all with the OEM run-flat, 'summer' tires.

These 'winterforce' tires had better chew through the nastiest snow as they drive like knobby tires on a motorcycle...the sounds these knobbies make are rather interesting at slow speeds but not too bad for what they are when going faster.

Brian

Thanks for your Feedback. I put the Winterforce 205/65/15 on today at $408 for 4 installed and on the road. Winter tires are limited inmy area. Blizzaks were special order and Nokians were available 125 miles away and teh dealer was an a** on the phone.

We shall see if my e34 experiences mirror your e90 experience. I drove home on city streets never going over 50 and i could tell a different sound form the tires only noticible if I turned the radio off. Otherwise drove fine

I removed /stored my 14,000 mile Michelin Exalto 225/60/15 A/S tires.

healtoeit
12-20-2008, 04:38 PM

I live in Va and have blizzaks... Never ever got stuck in any amount of snow! So depends if you want to maybe get stuck if you get a big snow! Blizzak WS-50 all the way imo

Russell
12-20-2008, 04:46 PM
I live in Va and have blizzaks... Never ever got stuck in any amount of snow! So depends if you want to maybe get stuck if you get a big snow! Blizzak WS-50 all the way imo

Why the WS-50s and not the 60s?

Tiger
12-20-2008, 05:28 PM
WS=50 is old Blizzak... I don't think they make it anymore.

tim eh?
12-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks for your Feedback. I put the Winterforce 205/65/15 on today at $408 for 4 installed and on the road. Winter tires are limited inmy area. Blizzaks were special order and Nokians were available 125 miles away and teh dealer was an a** on the phone.

We shall see if my e34 experiences mirror your e90 experience. I drove home on city streets never going over 50 and i could tell a different sound form the tires only noticible if I turned the radio off. Otherwise drove fine

I removed /stored my 14,000 mile Michelin Exalto 225/60/15 A/S tires.

i think that is a good choice. i am sure you will notice the difference when you encounter snow and ice and you will be quite impressed. my winters are way noisier than the all seasons.

so are you going to switch them every year? i find it is so much easier to have them on dedicated wheels.

Russell
12-20-2008, 08:33 PM
i think that is a good choice. i am sure you will notice the difference when you encounter snow and ice and you will be quite impressed. my winters are way noisier than the all seasons.

so are you going to switch them every year? i find it is so much easier to have them on dedicated wheels.
Plan to get either steel or another set of e34 crossspoke wheels before I need to switch in the spring. Do not plan to go to 16 or 17 inch wheels.

tim eh?
12-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Plan to get either steel or another set of e34 crossspoke wheels before I need to switch in the spring. Do not plan to go to 16 or 17 inch wheels.

aaah - nice move, new winter tires / new summer wheels :)

632 Regal
12-21-2008, 01:37 AM
winter tires that fit your wheels, no debate you need them, look at the tread and what you need to power through and choose. I dont believe any certain is better just get a decent winter "snow" tire and go on with it. Impossible here without them.

Ross
12-21-2008, 09:49 AM
I have just ordered a set of winterforce ($51 in 215/65 x 15 @ Tire Rack) and will report back.
Perhaps not a fair comparison as I ordered them with carbide studs.

Ross
12-21-2008, 01:59 PM
that ought to give you some grip, careful on the corners on dry pavement i have heard horror stories. which car are they going on - the icebreaker i guess? don't you have nokians on that already?

These are for ice trials. If winter keeps up as it is they will see the street though.
These have a very aggressive looking tread so along with about one hundred studs I'm expecting serious traction.

tim eh?
12-21-2008, 03:53 PM
These are for ice trials. If winter keeps up as it is they will see the street though.
These have a very aggressive looking tread so along with about one hundred studs I'm expecting serious traction.

FUN!!! don't forget to take your camera ;)

632 Regal
12-21-2008, 06:05 PM
good price! Nice looking tread pattern, deep lugs... too bad they are directional but swapping front to rear each season should be good. I have blizzak rev01 whatever that is, must be old. real decent in light snow, like riding nerf balls in rain and not all that good in deep snow/ice but MUCH better than my all seasons.

I have just ordered a set of winterforce ($51 in 215/65 x 15 @ Tire Rack) and will report back.

bubba966
12-21-2008, 07:04 PM
I can tell you that PS2's with 28k miles on them are terrible snow/ice tires. Might have to look into some Nokians or PA3's for next year. Too bad I've gotta run larger wheels otherwise it'd be real cheap to grab a set of basketweaves or honeycombs and the proper winter tires for the 15" rims. Would've loved to have been able to just swap rims over to a set with proper winter rubber... :(

Russell
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Never bought from Tirerack. Often wondered what shipping and installation would be.

Tiger
12-21-2008, 09:22 PM
I always orderd my tires... Tons of choices and I usually end up saving over $200 per set of tires installed compared to local stores... I have not bought any tires from a tire store for almost 15 years... Only exception was two tires from Firestone for those cheapie tires on a car I was selling soon afterward.

Russell
12-21-2008, 10:26 PM
I checked with Tirerack for shipping it would have been about $45 to ship 4 tires and local installers charge $17 to 32 per tire . I would have saved about $40 if I had gone with Tirerack. I still wonder how a problem tire would be handled.

bad_manners_god
12-21-2008, 11:25 PM
I checked with Tirerack for shipping it would have been about $45 to ship 4 tires and local installers charge $17 to 32 per tire . I would have saved about $40 if I had gone with Tirerack. I still wonder how a problem tire would be handled.

17 to 32$ per tire? We charge $10, installed and balanced per tire

Russell
12-22-2008, 04:56 AM
My local shop charges about $10 US (includes balance, disposal and valve stem) however only if they sell the tires. They also seem to buy a lot of tires through Tirerack. Not sure if they get any sort of additional discount.

Ross
12-22-2008, 07:23 AM
My installer charges me $20 for dismount, disposal, clean the rim, mount and balance with the proper weights and the valve.
Most here charge a bit more, none do a better job. I make a 30 mile round trip to use them. They only do tires and don't get pissy or charge more to install orders from Tire Rack, etc.
One of the few auto servicers left who give a damn.
KO tire in Elk Grove, Il. 847 439 6986 for anyone interested.

Ross
12-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Speak to me Bubba, I've several sets of wheels I'm not using.

Russell
12-22-2008, 10:36 AM
You have serveral sets of stock 15" wheels?

What do you have and how much for a set of 4?

bubba966
12-22-2008, 11:17 AM

Got something in 17" wheels? I know 15"s don't fit over the brakes.

Ideally I'd love to have a set of ACS Type II's, or another set of T-Stars for winter wheels. But both of those are out of my price range at the moment. Not to mention the $1K for winter tires on 17"s...

Ross
12-22-2008, 11:50 AM
"Not to mention the $1K for winter tires on 17"s..."
Who needs 17" wheels? especially for winter?
One 15" set is from a 540 (style 7), not sure what brakes you have. If bigger than my 540's were I have 16' E38 wheels that ought to work.

Ross
12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Russell,
I have a set of 15" bottlecaps, a set of 15" basket weaves that are straight but with lousy paint and a super nice set of style 7. Also 2 sets of 16" E38 wheels, one with pretty good Hakkas.
The bottlecaps will likely be wearing a new set of tires in the next two days unless you prefer them, in which case I'll use something else for myself.
PM me if you want to discuss purchase.

bubba966
12-22-2008, 12:33 PM
"Not to mention the $1K for winter tires on 17"s..."
Who needs 17" wheels? especially for winter?
One 15" set is from a 540 (style 7), not sure what brakes you have. If bigger than my 540's were I have 16' E38 wheels that ought to work.

15" won't clear M5 brakes, not sure if 16" will. Need to put the $ towards something other than winter tires at the moment, even as much as I'd love to have a set of Hakkas.

Will have to try and find out if 16" E38's will clear my brakes. Those the standard basketweaves, or are they something different?

Ross
12-22-2008, 01:18 PM
These
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GG83&mospid=47528&btnr=36_0182&hg=36&fg=15

bubba966
12-22-2008, 02:28 PM
These
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GG83&mospid=47528&btnr=36_0182&hg=36&fg=15

:(

Heard back from the M5 boys that the Style 4, 5, & 25 E38 wheels won't work. But Style's 6, 15, 18, 60, & 61 do work.

Wouldn't mind having the 18's or 60's. But I never see those on E38's (only 5's & 37's). Guess I should either pick up another set of T-Stars or rim swap...

tim eh?
12-22-2008, 03:27 PM

that ought to give you some grip, careful on the corners on dry pavement i have heard horror stories. which car are they going on - the icebreaker i guess? don't you have nokians on that already?