PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine light won't come on

BennyM
12-19-2008, 01:15 AM
I know most people writing about the Check Engine light are concerned because it's illuminated, but I can't get it to light at all. It doesn't come on with the initial key turn and it won't show when I run the instrument cluster test or the stomp test. I took the cluster out and replaced the bulb, but no change. My next step is to try a completely different cluster.

What else could keep that light from functioning? I'd like to have the peace of mind in knowing that the car is able to warn me of malfunctions. Fortunately the engine is running pretty smoothly right now.

KevinGoFast
12-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Well that's good. Yeah I know what you mean. Unfortunatly I don't truely know...

632 Regal
12-19-2008, 11:58 PM
you can pull the cluster it's easy and replace ALL the bulbs, will set you back about 3 USD for all them, maybe a cheaper way is to get a salvaged one and maybe all the bulbs work... Never can tell.

BennyM
12-20-2008, 03:13 PM
As I mentioned in my first post, I replaced the bulbs already with no change in operation. I also noticed the ABS light only works occasionally when I turn the car on. (The actual ABS still works though). I got another cluster too, I just haven't had time to put it in. But I was wondering if there are other modules I should check or does it sound like cluster-only issue.

BennyM

you can pull the cluster it's easy and replace ALL the bulbs, will set you back about 3 USD for all them, maybe a cheaper way is to get a salvaged one and maybe all the bulbs work... Never can tell.

632 Regal
12-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Benny,
try using an electronic conducting fluid so the plug ins work, that should eliminate any bad connections.

karl1171
12-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Has it ever worked?

Not all cars have the software to operate the check engine light, even if the bulb is present. Others will work but make the check engine light flash continually while the engine is runnung.

As for the ABS, mine goes off quite quicky after turning the ignition on, and never lights while the ABS is operating - again the ABS does appear to operate fine though.