PDA

View Full Version : Possible 540iA

Luftpost
12-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Hello all...I am looking at adding a 95 540iA to my garage (still have the 95 525i).

I started to post on a previous thread and realized I would hijack the thread, so here is my own....

The one in particular I am looking at has about 150K, runs very rough when cold...idles up and down, but seems to stabilize a bit when warmed up. Outside temps here are around 32 deg F. The check engine light is lit up. If I understand this correctly, I am unable to stomp test the codes myself, correct?? since it is a '95. Sounds like O2 sensors to me, though no guarantee. I don't want to invest any money into it if I don't have to before the purchase, if it happens. Owner is selling it cheap and is desperate to get rid of it. Car has been sitting for a year and is being sold by the original owners nephew.

One, if not both engine mounts are broken. How difficult are they to replace. Is it as simple as crawling under the car, putting a little pressure on the motor from below and swapping each mount?? Anyone put one on before??

These are the only two major issues with it. Body is great, not rust, and a handful of minor things.

Any thoughts on the two items above would be appreciated. Just curious what I am getting myself into. I am mechanical, have decent tools, and a garage. The check engine and rough idle are my big concerns.

I have looked at BMWE34.net and pulled a ton of info from there. Great site!

Thanks,

L

632 Regal
12-18-2008, 08:03 PM
you should be able to get the codes with the stomp test. Wandering idle when cold is most likely intake gaskets and rear PCV plate especially when cold the O2 sensors do not control anything.

Motor mounts are very doable. There are 2 ways of doing the driver side, one is difficult and the other is easy as you describe...sortof.

Good luck with it! ;)

bubba966
12-19-2008, 04:44 AM
Stomp test works fine on my car, and it's a very late build '95.

Luftpost
12-19-2008, 05:57 AM
I tried it on my 95 525iA yesterday and it did not work. Key in the on position, but not running. Then stomp on the accel pedal 5 times in less than 5 seconds right?

L.

sal_park
12-19-2008, 06:23 AM
I tried it on my 95 525iA yesterday and it did not work. Key in the on position, but not running. Then stomp on the accel pedal 5 times in less than 5 seconds right?

L.

As far as I understand, it depends on the region that the car was sold in. In the UK, we can't do the stomp test (so I believe) because the hardware needed is not on the car

Luftpost
12-19-2008, 06:46 AM
As far as I understand, it depends on the region that the car was sold in. In the UK, we can't do the stomp test (so I believe) because the hardware needed is not on the car

I have figured it out. I have to push the button on right side of tach for 3 sec, then turn key to position 2, and release button. Then all the stuff appears.

L.

Tiger
12-19-2008, 10:18 AM
That is instrument cluster self test... to reveal if the instrument cluster belongs to the car by displaying the VIN number.

Stomp test is engine diagnostic... you have to try a couple of times to figure it out... I also had difficulty to get it to do that too. Gotta turn ignition off after every time you attempt to do so.

Luftpost
12-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info.....So I tried again (on my 525i). Turned the ignition on, immediately stomped 5 times rapidly and firmly and I got the 1444 code. Now I know how it works. I am going to stomp test the 540i now and see what it has to say. You are correct, it took me several times to get it to work.

L.