PDA

View Full Version : Sometime it starts, others not.

bummininca
12-17-2008, 03:23 PM
My 1992 m50 e34 at times will not start. There does not seem to be a pattern to it. It will start fine... I go into a store and when I come out it will not start. There is power to the car (also new battery). Turn the key to start and nothing, it reminds me of when you try to start it if you leave it in gear. So now I wait... 5 to 10 min. and bam! it starts fine. Sometimes I don't have to wait, it will just start like it is supposed to on the first try. Could it be the starter relay? Please help.

tim eh?
12-17-2008, 03:39 PM
My 1992 m50 e34 at times will not start. There does not seem to be a pattern to it. It will start fine... I go into a store and when I come out it will not start. There is power to the car (also new battery). Turn the key to start and nothing, it reminds me of when you try to start it if you leave it in gear. So now I wait... 5 to 10 min. and bam! it starts fine. Sometimes I don't have to wait, it will just start like it is supposed to on the first try. Could it be the starter relay? Please help.

so when the starter does turn it is always with full power?

i would guess bad starter relay, bad starter or solenoid, or bad connection / bad wiring to the starter.

bummininca
12-17-2008, 03:50 PM
so when the starter does turn it is always with full power?

i would guess bad starter relay, bad starter or solenoid, or bad connection / bad wiring to the starter.
Yes Tim... Always full power when it does start.

tim eh?
12-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes Tim... Always full power when it does start.

on a completely different car (actually a van) i had a starter with a bad spot that behaved like that. luckily, it was accessible from inside and i could give it a good whack with a hammer when it really acted up. had to replace it eventually, i got sick of taking the engine cover off. maybe you would like to try a gentler approach with the bmw tho. :)

bummininca
12-17-2008, 04:05 PM
I am afraid it my be the starter too. I was hoping that someone would chime in and say "oh ya, it is the relay happens all the time, just replace it.", oh well, maybe I'll start (no pun intended) with the relay.

JD525IA
12-17-2008, 05:52 PM

I only say this because I did mine last weekend. It was doing what yours is now doing. Checker has a good aftermarket one for about $135 after core swap. Took a couple of hours to put it in a put all the crap back the way it was before I started. But she now starts right up.

JD

whiskychaser
12-17-2008, 05:59 PM
I am afraid it my be the starter too. I was hoping that someone would chime in and say "oh ya, it is the relay happens all the time, just replace it.", oh well, maybe I'll start (no pun intended) with the relay.
If it starts fine from cold but wont after you go into a shop for 5 minutes, I would def go for the relays first. Not had it on the BMW but had a Honda that used to do it. It was caused by dry joints in the relay-contact was lost when it warmed up a bit. Cleaned the contacts, resoldered the joints and never had a problem. You might just want to try a new relay though :D