PDA

View Full Version : LSD and Parking maneuver...

Tiger
12-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey Guys,

I have a question... for those of you with LSD... do you find your turning radius much wider than a car without it? Some people said that LSD does not affect parking maneuver but I told them it does.

I find parking the BMW in parking lot is very limited... you can't swing out 80 degree in typical parking lot... it s more like only 45 degree in tighter parking lot.

If something is wrong with my LSD... what should I do?

repenttokyo
12-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I have not noticed a problem with mine - in fact, people often comment how impressively small my car's turn radius is.

Ross
12-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey Guys,

I have a question... for those of you with LSD... do you find your turning radius much wider than a car without it? Some people said that LSD does not affect parking maneuver but I told them it does.

I find parking the BMW in parking lot is very limited... you can't swing out 80 degree in typical parking lot... it s more like only 45 degree in tighter parking lot.

Even if your diff was locked up tight it won't effect your turning radius. One wheel would just get dragged around.
I always considered my 5er an easy parker

Tiger
12-17-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't know... the feels like a long wheel based car. No abnormal wear on tires. It would be interesting if somene has two E34 and one of them is open differential and one of them is LSD.

repenttokyo
12-17-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't know... the feels like a long wheel based car. No abnormal wear on tires. It would be interesting if somene has two E34 and one of them is open differential and one of them is LSD.

like I said, my car is lsd and it doesn't feel like a long wheelbase car at all - nothing like my pickups. so it sounds like you can rule a proper functioning lsd out asthe problem.

tim eh?
12-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey Guys,

turn off the tv, drink water, don't eat the brown paper.

... seriously tho mine has pretty good angles, i can park in really tight spots, i am used to larger wheel bases tho.

ArnZ!
12-17-2008, 06:30 PM
coming from an e21, which had an open, the turning circle was still the same before/after i put the lsd in.

as far as the longer wheel base i hate it, but i make do just fine.

leicesterboy15
12-18-2008, 06:58 AM
My 540 has no LSD and the turning circle is perfectly acceptable, my previous 535i sport had an LSD and I don't recall it being any different in that. Neither compares to my old Merc 190 which has the turning circle of a taxi, the wheels turn so much the car dips on one side at the front as you turn the wheel - it happens on the e34 as well but nowhere near as much

Tiger
12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Interesting... Maybe I should have the LSD differential oil changed... I probably will go Amsoil on this.

Sam-Son
12-18-2008, 02:09 PM
havent noticed anything like that