PDA

View Full Version : Best Coil Spring Compressor Tool?

Jehu
12-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Decided I'll buy some Jack stands and just borrow a floor jack and buy a Spring Compressor to do my own shock mounts I got yesterday even though I could find a local shop to do it for maybe $60.00. Seen a few like the Pittsburgh set on Harbor Freight.. any Opinions for a safe durable tool to work with shocks and struts on the car? Thanks

BMWCCA1
12-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Rear, or front? Since you said "shock mounts" I'm going to assume rear and point you here: http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showpost.php?p=287667&postcount=29

Jehu
12-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Rear, or front? Since you said "shock mounts" I'm going to assume rear and point you here: http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showpost.php?p=287667&postcount=29

Great thanks. I have an Advance Auto in town.. Rears it is. thanks.

bubba966
12-14-2008, 09:04 AM
I just asked this question on my local CCA board. The ones Harbor Freight sells people had a few problems with. Was told the one Sears has for $55 worked well with a variety of spring on a variety of cars. So I'll be going with the Sears one myself.

yaofeng
12-14-2008, 09:11 AM

I have one spring compressor just like the set you pictured in my garage I bought years ago but I have stopped using it. It is not safe without the safety locks. Have you had a compressed spring come undone? Severe injury would be the result if you happen to be in the way. Rent one from Autozone for free.

Tiger
12-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Autozones also loan out tools for free.

whiskychaser
12-14-2008, 10:42 AM
I have one spring compressor just like the set you pictured in my garage I bought years ago but I have stopped using it. It is not safe without the safety locks. Have you had a compressed spring come undone?

I've got an old set like that too. I dont know what the safety locks are but I'd wire them together with something like welding rod as a minimum. Mine did let go. One of those experiences when you laugh - then go and change your trousers

BMWCCA1
12-14-2008, 11:35 AM
I have one spring compressor just like the set you pictured in my garage I bought years ago but I have stopped using it. It is not safe without the safety locks. Have you had a compressed spring come undone? Severe injury would be the result if you happen to be in the way. Rent one from Autozone for free.I don't use that type on larger front springs, I have a scissors-type compressor for those. Properly used these simple tools work well and they do have four contact positions each (total of eight) for the springs, not just two. My car is lowered with RD springs and the compressors are really doing minimal work and under hardly any stress. I could have used the free ones from AutoZone, and I've gotten some tools from them brand-new (front-end set of ball-joint stuff) that can be returned as rentals if you want to, at any time, for a full refund of the purchase price. I just liked the quality of this set better and figured someday someone else might need to borrow a pair, or I'd be helping someone out, and having them on-hand had some appeal. I may have even been influenced by their being made in USA, but I'd have to check to be sure.

It's also nice to be respected as an adult enough to be able to buy a tool that requires some common sense to use it properly and safely. I see all those compressors with U-bolts and clamps that might make them fool-proof but also much more tedious to use. I'm constantly amazed that the consumer Nazis still allow me to ride a motorcycle, or even buy a bunk bed. ;)