PDA

View Full Version : I Have A Feeling That I Am Going To Get Flammed But Here It Goes..............

BMW4LIFE
12-12-2008, 01:16 AM
So the 5 is in pretty bad shape but still runs like a champ...

my cousin just bought a Range Rover and is selling his Cad Escalade...its a 2003 with ~100k

he said that he will give it to me for 6k

now do you guys think its worth me getting that car or just say F it and ride out the 5 till it blows?

thanks in advance!

632 Regal
12-12-2008, 01:35 AM
values of the escalade are going to fall fast with the failure of the bailout, no one will continue making parts. Not a bad deal at all but in the future it could turn out to be a very bad decision. Best of luck this is just my opinion.

BMW4LIFE
12-12-2008, 03:33 AM
values of the escalade are going to fall fast with the failure of the bailout, no one will continue making parts. Not a bad deal at all but in the future it could turn out to be a very bad decision. Best of luck this is just my opinion.

ooo i never thought about that....

man i wish RR were just more reliable...they are soo sick...well when BMW was contracted with them ;)

I dont know why but I am in this craz for an SUV...i have been looking at X5 but I hear the 4.4L are JUCK and the 3.0 drives like a Truck!

can you guys fill me in one some X5 info please?

Ken35i
12-12-2008, 03:43 AM
...with a user name like that?! cmoonn :D

Ross
12-12-2008, 08:50 AM
That Escalade epitomizes everthing wrong with the American auto industry.
It offers little utility, zero sport and all the luxury a pick up truck can offer but this is offset by it's economy of operation.
Having said this BUY it because your friend will be begging for it back once he discovers that Rover is the worst pile of dung to soil the road since the Yugo.
Don't let your friends poor taste/choices rub off on you.

Ross
12-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Wrong, Jeff.
the values will fall because they are expensive to operate and offer little in return other than being ostentatious. Parts will be available forever to keep them running, unfortunately.

BMWCCA1
12-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Disregarding, for a minute, what a piece of carp [sic] the Escalade is, he's probably offering it to you for what he can get in trade. GM's impending bankruptcy has less to do with the value of the truck, present or future, than does the economy in general and the recent $4/gallon gas. I'm hopeful the public's memory of gas prices will be what we've needed to influence buying and driving behavior in this country that the government has been unwilling to tackle through fuel-economy legislation. In fact, the current administration was not too long ago offering thousands of dollars in incentives to anyone buying an SUV over a specific GVW that was able to be construed as a "work" vehicle. While it may look like the Escalade has bottomed-out price-wise, it hopefully will get even more difficult to find a buyer for SUVs in the years ahead as the mood of the public shifts toward more fuel-efficient vehicles of more reasonable size, and even better utility.

I wouldn't worry about not getting parts for a GM car going forward. Ever been to an auto parts store for parts for a domestic vehicle? None of those parts come from GM. In fact there are probably more Chinese-made brake rotors in stock than U.S.-made.

Tiger
12-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Ride it out... there are tons of cheap awesome cars out there...

repenttokyo
12-12-2008, 10:15 AM
6k is extremely under market, this is a really unusual offer.

BMWCCA1
12-12-2008, 11:26 AM
6k is extremely under market, this is a really unusual offer.Then you haven't been shopping. Take it to CarMax and see what they'd give you for it. A dealer might offer that (or more) to make a deal but at auction no one wants them at all and certainly not with over 100k on them. Reality check.

repenttokyo
12-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Then you haven't been shopping. Take it to CarMax and see what they'd give you for it. A dealer might offer that (or more) to make a deal but at auction no one wants them at all and certainly not with over 100k on them. Reality check.

I write about used cars for a living, so I am fairly familiar with market prices. Ebay prices are a great way to see what willing buyer / willing seller values truly are, as well as what prices are unrealistic.

http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.com/items/Cars-Trucks___2003-escalade_W0QQMake247a0eZCadillacebca2da5QQLHQ5fCom pleteZ1QQ_catrefZ1QQ_dmptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fP artsQ5fAccessoriesQQ_flnZ1QQ_scZ1QQ_sopZMiles46e6e deQ5fASCQQ_trksidZp4506Q2ec0Q2em228?_trksid=p4506. c0.m228

This is a listing of completed 2003 Escalade auctions. The prices highlighted in green are completed auctions where the vehicle sold for that price. You will see that market for standard Escalades of that year hover just around 10k, and much higher for ESV's and EXT's.

Reality Check, right back at you.

Ross
12-12-2008, 05:01 PM
"I write about used cars for a living"
tell us more please

repenttokyo
12-12-2008, 05:06 PM
"I write about used cars for a living"
tell us more please

I'm a freelance writer. Currently one of my largest clients is:

http://www.autotropolis.com

Here's article I wrote from the fall:

http://www.autotropolis.com/wiki/index.php?title=Best_Used_Car:_Convertible

I have about 500 articles there, mostly in their Wiki section. I write for a number of other sites as well, and for the local Boston Bimmer publication.

My two biggest markets are automotive writing and the music industry, so I have somewhat of a personal stake in the current 'crisis', although from a manufacturing standpoint we all really have a stake in things.

BMW4LIFE
12-12-2008, 07:57 PM
...with a user name like that?! cmoonn :D

hahaha....true that!

ooopppssss

hehe

BMW4LIFE
12-12-2008, 08:00 PM
6k is extremely under market, this is a really unusual offer.

well he is family and makes 300k a year so its basically chump change to him....

and if things break ill be like .....LISTEN! fix it im your couz!

haha

jk

repenttokyo
12-12-2008, 08:37 PM
well he is family and makes 300k a year so its basically chump change to him....

and if things break ill be like .....LISTEN! fix it im your couz!

haha

jk

nice.

attack eagle
12-12-2008, 10:24 PM
sure, why the hell not.

why worry? as is usual 632-regal is crying wolf and overly paranoid. The escalade, other than the nose and a few trim pieces, is basically the most popular and most prolific pickup truck in the USA, a Chevrolet/GMC... you'll never run out of parts. they'll never stop making parts for it

they aren;t german but the GMs will do 300k+ if you take care of them.
And you can always sell it on the wrong side of the tracks for more than it is worth if you put a bling set of rent a tire wheels on it for a grand or so.

now the X5 based range rover... those were the best SUVs ever. All the reliability of BMW and all the luxury and offroadability of Range Rover.

BMW4LIFE
12-12-2008, 11:51 PM
sure, why the hell not.

why worry? as is usual 632-regal is crying wolf and overly paranoid. The escalade, other than the nose and a few trim pieces, is basically the most popular and most prolific pickup truck in the USA, a Chevrolet/GMC... you'll never run out of parts. they'll never stop making parts for it

they aren;t german but the GMs will do 300k+ if you take care of them.
And you can always sell it on the wrong side of the tracks for more than it is worth if you put a bling set of rent a tire wheels on it for a grand or so.

now the X5 based range rover... those were the best SUVs ever. All the reliability of BMW and all the luxury and offroadability of Range Rover.

it is very weird to me....some people HATE the RR while others like them

now i do have to say that I have heard some stories regarding the cards air suspension going out but once you get it fixed does the pronlem keep coming back?

I dont know...if you ask me...i would say the looks on a rover are killer but of the stories are true that the only miles youll put is to the dealer and back then i feel bad for him.

as faras the escalade goes...i like it but at the same time i am not like WOW i need to have it....i just noticed that a killer came in front of me and want to see if it was worth it...

sadly i am still getting mixed signals =/

BMWCCA1
12-13-2008, 10:49 AM
I write about used cars for a living, so I am fairly familiar with market prices. Ebay prices are a great way to see what willing buyer / willing seller values truly are, as well as what prices are unrealistic.

http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.com/items/Cars-Trucks___2003-escalade_W0QQMake247a0eZCadillacebca2da5QQLHQ5fCom pleteZ1QQ_catrefZ1QQ_dmptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fP artsQ5fAccessoriesQQ_flnZ1QQ_scZ1QQ_sopZMiles46e6e deQ5fASCQQ_trksidZp4506Q2ec0Q2em228?_trksid=p4506. c0.m228

This is a listing of completed 2003 Escalade auctions. The prices highlighted in green are completed auctions where the vehicle sold for that price. You will see that market for standard Escalades of that year hover just around 10k, and much higher for ESV's and EXT's.

Reality Check, right back at you.The seller is obviously not interested in going the Ebay route. The value of a vehicle to most is what you can get for it quickly and effortlessly. Ebay prices are often above retail or at best trailing the market. Check Black Book values or use Manheim Online to ascertain true market value. What I said was the owner was probably passing it along at what he was offered in trade. I also mentioned taking it to CarMax for a no-obligation buy quote. Writing about cars isn't the same as selling them as your living. Ebay is often a great seller's market, if you're willing to take a chance. There's no follow-up to tell you if the deal actually got completed given the screwed-up Feedback system, and there's certainly no accounting for uneducated sellers whose only comparison may be the "sticker" price at their local dealer. Under PT Barnum's "ass for every seat" theory, Ebay can give as inaccurate a measure as using Kelly Blue Book to buy your cars. In "the business" dealers use Kelly and NADA information to shore up their asking prices. Those data bases get their information from dealers who, of course, use inflated used-car "allowances" to hide loan payoffs or instead of discounting from sticker. I used to proudly quote Kelly Blue Book values right on my used car window stickers right next to my price that was often several thousand less. Think about it; if everyone sells "below book" how does the "book" have any value to the buyer, or even justify those "averages"?

As I said, and don't trust me, shop the truck around and you'll see what the current market in the real world is. I write about cars for a living, too, but most of my time is spent correcting the errors-in-fact of those who write for me. ;)

Dave M
12-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Might I ask, what makes you want a larger vehicle? Carpenter, plumber, tradesperson etc.? Do you often travel with a ton of sporting equipment, have a large family? I only ask as I have a pick-up that gets used for work puproses only and it only gets driven a few times a month (I do work more than a few times a month, unfortunately ;) ). I can't justify driving it any more than that. The e34 is so much more enjoyable........

Just curious,

Dave

repenttokyo
12-13-2008, 12:33 PM
The seller is obviously not interested in going the Ebay route. The value of a vehicle to most is what you can get for it quickly and effortlessly. Ebay prices are often above retail or at best trailing the market. Check Black Book values or use Manheim Online to ascertain true market value. What I said was the owner was probably passing it along at what he was offered in trade. I also mentioned taking it to CarMax for a no-obligation buy quote. Writing about cars isn't the same as selling them as your living. Ebay is often a great seller's market, if you're willing to take a chance. There's no follow-up to tell you if the deal actually got completed given the screwed-up Feedback system, and there's certainly no accounting for uneducated sellers whose only comparison may be the "sticker" price at their local dealer. Under PT Barnum's "ass for every seat" theory, Ebay can give as inaccurate a measure as using Kelly Blue Book to buy your cars. In "the business" dealers use Kelly and NADA information to shore up their asking prices. Those data bases get their information from dealers who, of course, use inflated used-car "allowances" to hide loan payoffs or instead of discounting from sticker. I used to proudly quote Kelly Blue Book values right on my used car window stickers right next to my price that was often several thousand less. Think about it; if everyone sells "below book" how does the "book" have any value to the buyer, or even justify those "averages"?

As I said, and don't trust me, shop the truck around and you'll see what the current market in the real world is. I write about cars for a living, too, but most of my time is spent correcting the errors-in-fact of those who write for me. ;)

gonna have to agree to disagree with you dude. sorry.

Rick L
12-13-2008, 03:38 PM
That's pretty cheap for 2003. If you like it, you should get it. But I can never buy Cadillac Escalade. Maybe it's just my stereo type views but only see football players or drug dealers driving them... :p JK!

So the 5 is in pretty bad shape but still runs like a champ...

my cousin just bought a Range Rover and is selling his Cad Escalade...its a 2003 with ~100k

he said that he will give it to me for 6k

now do you guys think its worth me getting that car or just say F it and ride out the 5 till it blows?

thanks in advance!

BMW4LIFE
12-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Might I ask, what makes you want a larger vehicle? Carpenter, plumber, tradesperson etc.? Do you often travel with a ton of sporting equipment, have a large family? I only ask as I have a pick-up that gets used for work puproses only and it only gets driven a few times a month (I do work more than a few times a month, unfortunately ;) ). I can't justify driving it any more than that. The e34 is so much more enjoyable........

Just curious,

Dave

I do have some use for it....

the snow is one example...being that its AWD and all and i can fit all my friends it a plus...

the lake is another example...

and finally the fact that i am 6'3 and 200 lbs...its kind of a pain in the ass to get in and out the 5....

ps its not fat far all you guys think that hey maybe you should drop some weight! hehe;):D

BMW4LIFE
12-13-2008, 04:22 PM
That's pretty cheap for 2003. If you like it, you should get it. But I can never buy Cadillac Escalade. Maybe it's just my stereo type views but only see football players or drug dealers driving them... :p JK!

you know what i totally agree with you...one thing that i do like about the car is that it is still stock and does not have 30" rims!

haha

but on the other hand i have never been a fan of american cars...i am just very tempted due to the fact that it is sooooooooooooooo cheap!

=)

Paul in NZ
12-13-2008, 10:57 PM
bmw for life......this is at least the third time you have asked us about this sort of thing.....you are obviously disenchanted with the five so get rid of it and get the truck!

nirvana19
12-15-2008, 01:16 AM
If you don't mind the image, buy it. More expensive than the average american car to maintain simply because everything is so damn large, but parts are fairly cheap and will remain cheap. I've spent a fair amount of time driving the virtually identical Yukon Denali. Solid, reliable, comfortable. And now cheap. If the stereotypes don't bother you, its a solid deal. The down-sides are obvious but if you think you have real use for it buy it. At that mileage if the shocks haven't been replaced you'll have to do that, other common problems are starter, alternator, I've seen the 4-speed autos go, and you might get minor electrical glitches and bad switches but more the interior trim will just start to flake away and deteriorate. Not the highest quality even in Escalade form, but still pretty reliable.

aston_jag_tech
12-15-2008, 02:12 AM
03 Range Rovers have a great engine and transmission.
You will see failure of the pcv breather hoses in the back of the engine as well as cooling system issues. Hoses break at crimps, reservoirs crack, radiators leak.

Now, the 03-05 RR are having a recall for the front diff. the splined shaft wear prematurely and fail causing loss of drive. After having the recall done to this SUV I would defientely pick it up for 6k!!

Although when the air susp. dips in the front at one corner or both, expect to pay near 1300 for an air strut + labor and other charges.

High rollers pay high dollars.

FYI Ive been working on Rovers also now for the past year, and then some....

BennyM
12-15-2008, 02:25 PM
You can get a really nice E34 or larger E32 for 6k. A 540iT with snow tires and ASC would probably give you as much utility and still more economy.