PDA

View Full Version : 1995 e34 530ita suspension upgrade

trevortheleper
12-11-2008, 04:54 AM
i have a 1995 530i touring It has 113,000 mile On The clock now. i boughtit at 99,000 miles, 2 yrs ago.Drives Great On Smooth Tarmac But has an annoying rumble over small road imperfections. With the milage im assuming the shocks are pretty much played out. slap bilsteins Heavy duty? or go with New Set Stock? is there a great improvement in handling with bilsteins thats noticable Or stick with Stock and throw New Bushings etc and try to get it back to as it was as new. I have a dinan engine chip, racing dynamics Strut brace, asa 17 rims, zimmerman cross drilled rotors, Pagid carbon pads, stainless brake lines, brass caliper bushings, New Headliner, and the car resprayed in the origanal colour since i got it.
The roads here in Oahu Hawaii suck so im afraid to go too radical as it will im sure just make it worse. Anyone out there just slapped on direct replacements and Been Happy with The Results? Or Go Whole Hog? My Mechanics are urging me to try The Dinan setup as its only a few bucks More.
Oh by The way i took My Baby for a five day road trip to Maui in october. Hard to Beat the 600 plus Turns on the road to Hana . The Drive From Sea level to the summit Of Haleakela At 10,000 Ft At 3.30 Am With The Foot Downs Pretty Cool too.:)

Tiger
12-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Bilstein HD definitely will be better performance. In beginning may feel quite hard but it will soften up.

You need to verify whether your rear self leveling struts are in good condition... it is hard to test by hand and a bad one will make your rear end slide out under wet and rough road condition.

BigKriss
12-11-2008, 10:02 AM
try some koni shocks and h&r springs. thats a nice setup and some different swaybars

Elekta
12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Check your rear self levelling susp first. If it's in perfect shape then you can make your front shock decisions regarding ride height v comfort. It's a heavy front end, so you should stay with heavy duty regardless. It's all about whether you want a small gap in the front wheel well.

Make sure your accumulators/valve and piping are in working order at the rear, and that dog bones, and rear bushings, and rear upper strut mounts aren't shot. That is your bear. After that it's all down hill on the front

trevortheleper
12-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Thank you for the replies. At least I dont have to deal with self leveling on this model.

Tiger
12-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Are you sure there is no self leveling system? All wagon has self leveling unless they are deleted.

trevortheleper
12-13-2008, 11:08 PM
No self leveling on this one. I bought it with 96,000 miles so the previous owner/owners may have deleted it or speced it without. Different power steering resevoir. Going with Bilstein Heavy duty and BMW Low Slung Touring Springs Or Dinan Springs. Ill Post The Part #s When The Shop Gets Them In. Should Get the Job Done Shortly after New Years.

attack eagle
12-14-2008, 02:24 AM
Are you sure there is no self leveling system? All wagon has self leveling unless they are deleted.

nope, wasn;t even an option on 94-95
standard on 92, ?option? on 93, gone 94.