PDA

View Full Version : door locks and cold weather

tim eh?
12-08-2008, 04:29 PM
don't you guys just hate it when you have one door lock actuator sticking and can't open the car before it relocks itself?
it only happens to me in winter dammit i forgot about this.

anyone know offhand if i pull the plug on my rear lock actuators will it affect the rest of the central locking system?

shogun
12-08-2008, 11:21 PM
It is the old hardened grease which is inside plus the dirt.
I took them out, cleaned them complete with brake cleaner and in addition one I soaked in kerosine/diesel to get that stuff out.
Then I used a nice new grease and they work like a charm. No problem at all since 2 years.
Johan did it even more extensive, he drilled out the rivets to open them and cleaned then.
See link on my website under
links>private>Johan&Sean>body&interior>doorlock...

anyone know offhand if i pull the plug on my rear lock actuators will it affect the rest of the central locking system?

yes, sir

tim eh?
12-09-2008, 04:08 PM
It is the old hardened grease which is inside plus the dirt.
I took them out, cleaned them complete with brake cleaner and in addition one I soaked in kerosine/diesel to get that stuff out.
Then I used a nice new grease and they work like a charm. No problem at all since 2 years.
Johan did it even more extensive, he drilled out the rivets to open them and cleaned then.
See link on my website under
links>private>Johan&Sean>body&interior>doorlock...

yes, sir

unngggghhhh .... so there is no way to disable the rear door locks at all?

oh well, i will have to perfect my fast draw on the door handle for cold mornings, and start making a list for next spring... looks like a fun time!

Rick L
12-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Yep... If one is unplugged, it will effect central lock. I tried it when I was trying to isolate my lock problem. But found the problem to be completely something else that was cause my locking problems. I looked at the wiring diagram when I was troubleshooting and maybe you can put a relay for the hot wire and bypass problematic actuator. Just the thought if you're lazy on fixing it. ;)

don't you guys just hate it when you have one door lock actuator sticking and can't open the car before it relocks itself?
it only happens to me in winter dammit i forgot about this.

tim eh?
12-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Yep... If one is unplugged, it will effect central lock. I tried it when I was trying to isolate my lock problem. But found the problem to be completely something else that was cause my locking problems. I looked at the wiring diagram when I was troubleshooting and maybe you can put a relay for the hot wire and bypass problematic actuator. Just the thought if you're lazy on fixing it. ;)

that's a good idea, i might do that at some point when i'm feeling less lazy.:) if i can separate the rear locks from the locking system at least it halves my chances of getting frozen out of the car. thanks for the replies, guys.

tim eh?
01-03-2009, 04:04 PM
well, my locks have been working like new since i doused them with this stuff a couple weeks ago.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6432&stc=1&d=1231016541

i didn't even have to take the panels off (well, the d/s was already off), the handy little tube was perfect for sticking it in the holes on the sides of the door. it's going to be real messy in there now but it's already full of rustproofing anyway.

so what are the 3 oils anyway?

whiskychaser
01-03-2009, 05:44 PM
so what are the 3 oils anyway?

Lubricates, cleans and prevents rust. Er... I think it says it on the can :D

tim eh?
01-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Lubricates, cleans and prevents rust. Er... I think it says it on the can :D

oh... that's lame i thought there were 3 different oils

well i don't know about the other 2 but it lubricates, that's for sure.