PDA

View Full Version : If I replace my tapedeck, does that mean I have to get a new code?

repenttokyo
12-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Or can I just swap any tape deck into my car?

632 Regal
12-05-2008, 11:31 PM
tapedeck? you mean receiver? CD unit? I am unsure with the vagueness.

repenttokyo
12-05-2008, 11:42 PM
tapedeck? you mean receiver? CD unit? I am unsure with the vagueness.

the tape deck in my car....91 e34 - replace it with another e34 tape deck.

632 Regal
12-05-2008, 11:56 PM
OK I am sorry didnt know we had tape decks not in the receivers. My radio has tape deck built in.

the tape deck in my car....91 e34 - replace it with another e34 tape deck.

repenttokyo
12-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Ahhh Okay I follow now. Yes you will need the original code that comes with the receiver/tape deck to unlock it. Sometimes the code is on the back of it other times you need to provide the vin number to a dealer to get the code. Try to get the code number from the person you are buying it from an it should be painless. If you cant get the vin# or the code you may never be able to unlock it. Play safe here.

wow - someone edited my post by accident! lol.

attack eagle
12-06-2008, 01:34 AM
it isn;t the vin # it is the serial number on the radio.

they follow a calculable algorithm so people have figured that out and are quite capable of tellign you the code based off the serial.

used to pass em out like candy on bf.c, you can search there and pm the guy who used to do it. thread finally got locked by some ignorant moron mod (they exist there too) after 2-3 years.

If only most dealers were not such *******s as to charge more than the cost of the unit ($60) to look it up...

Ross
12-06-2008, 11:19 AM
yes
Each radio has it's own code. The dealer or some folks on line can get it usually without charge even at the dealer, at least mine.
Be sure the radio/tapedeck has the serial # tag on it, the Pioneer units used a paper label that sometimes fell off. Without the serial # the radio is a doorstop.
If you are missing the label and have the donor car handy fish around behind the dash you might find a label that fell off, I was lucky this way once.

repenttokyo
12-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Here's my next question - does anyone have an old tape deck they are willing to sell? I just want to be able to use a tape adaptor for my MP3 player.

OR

A good aftermarket radio that works well in the E34, has an AUX in and looks decent in the dash? I really like the stock look, not all that interested in some UFO deck with all sorts of doo-dads, you know?

repenttokyo
12-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Would something like this be easy to install?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-T130-CD-Receiver-Head-Unit-CDXGT130/sem/rpsm/oid/221002/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I am a bit wary of the car's integrated amp and possible common ground system.

Ross
12-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Here's my next question - does anyone have an old tape deck they are willing to sell? I just want to be able to use a tape adaptor for my MP3 player.

OR

A good aftermarket radio that works well in the E34, has an AUX in and looks decent in the dash? I really like the stock look, not all that interested in some UFO deck with all sorts of doo-dads, you know?

I bought a '95 radio and CD changer together for the radio. The radio won't plug into my '89. The connections changed somewhere along the line, someone here will know if it works in yours.
It's a three series radio so has slightly different controls and perhaps no weather band. Someone here will know.
If it will work for you I'll sell it.

BMWDriver
12-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I put in a Clarion in mine with an adapter that I let Future Shop wire for me, then hooked it in myself. The added power is great, though at times the speakers will screech if I set the sound up too much. But otherwise the result impresses me with the stock speakers and stock amp. I then put in an iPod controller that could also drive a Clarion CD changer.

Anyhow, perhaps you could post a pic of it, front and back, Ross ?

Dave M
12-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I have a spare head unit that should fit (91 525). Its been in a box for a number of years now, so no guarantees it works flawlessly.

Dave