PDA

View Full Version : manual transmission fill

John in CT
12-03-2008, 07:51 PM
last fall my 1995 5 speed had new amsoil synthetic installed. Now that cold weather is here it is extremely hard to shift when cold, warm is fine. I checked the manual today and BMW calls for ATF in my transmission, did I screw up?

Thanks in advance,

John

BMWCCA1
12-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Not if you used Amsoil ATF !!

632 Regal
12-04-2008, 01:30 AM
that would do it huh?
Not if you used Amsoil ATF !!

yaofeng
12-06-2008, 05:31 AM
Any ATF will do.

John B.
12-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I tried several synth ATFs in my 535i but the shifting was notchy compared to the regular stuff. It shifts smoothly with the cheap Napa ATF so I give it what it likes & save $$$.

gale
12-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I tried several synth ATFs in my 535i but the shifting was notchy compared to the regular stuff. It shifts smoothly with the cheap Napa ATF so I give it what it likes & save $$$.

Ditto. I've tried just about everything there is. I started out with full synthetic ATF which felt like it was too slippery for the syncro's to function properly. Then I tried 70W80 GL-4 which worked ok in the summer but was too notchy when cold. After surfing the web, I tried Swepco 201 that is poplar with the Porsche gearboxes. It was very smooth for 3 seasons but took several miles on cold mornings so get smooth. Then I tried Pennzoil "Syncro-Mesh" which was the smoothest of all regardless of temps but one of the posters on the old Roadfly e28 forum e-mailed Pennzoil's tech department and they said it was specifically formulated for certain Mitsubisi manuals that had syncro issues but was not the right stuff for the Getrag trannies. I finally went with Redline MTL and it works the best of any. Most if not all current ATF's are some ratio of synthetic blends so I decided to stay away from them. If you could find the old Dexron 2 ATF, that would be worth trying.