PDA

View Full Version : 95 530i radio question

Russell
12-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Will a 95 530i stock radio/code with weather band be a direct plug and play for a 95 525i? What would it be worth?

I want the weather band (I think). It also needs to work with my Pioneer/BMW changer. Believe 95 model Alpine/Pioneer changers are interchangable.

I have a chance to pick up this and various other parts including a blue hood and complete blue driver's door. Do not need hood and door, so I may just let those go. Note, I have not seen the parts yet.

12/7/08 no radio in the parts. bought a cross spoke wheel/orginal tire, amp and changer. Left the door and hood as I did not need.

tim eh?
12-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Will a 95 530i stock radio/code with weather band be a direct plug and play for a 95 525i? What would it be worth?

I want the weather band (I think). It also needs to work with my Pioneer/BMW changer. Believe 95 model Alpine/Pioneer changers are interchangable.

I have a chance to pick up this and various other parts including a blue hood and complete blue driver's door. Do not need hood and door, so I may just let those go. Note, I have not seen the parts yet.

the tuning of the radio ought to be internal to the radio tuner, so even if it isn't plug and play having the weather band itself won't make a difference... you don't need a seperate antenna or connection or anything just for that.

Russell
12-03-2008, 06:01 PM
the tuning of the radio ought to be internal to the radio tuner, so even if it isn't plug and play having the weather band itself won't make a difference... you don't need a seperate antenna or connection or anything just for that.

Not sure that is correct as I believe the WB simply uses the built in am/fm antennas which should be the same for the 525i standard radio and the WB on the 530i and 540i. Not proven though.

BMWCCA1
12-03-2008, 09:32 PM

The 525i/530i/540i should have all come with the same radio anyway. Either should work with the changer as long as the changer is a BMW changer. They used some sort of code on the later radios to lock out the non-BMW Pioneers.

Ross
12-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Russell, saw your post at bfc too. Pretty sure the '95s are interchangeable.
I would like to get my hands on that driver's door. Where are you??

Rick L
12-05-2008, 09:34 AM
No it won't. Alpine CD changer and Pioneer CD changer and also from model year has changed and not compatible. E34, E32, and E31 uses Pioneer CD changer and some of the mid to later E36 use Alpine head unit with Alpine CD changer and not compatible with E34 head unit (Philips or Pioneer I believe). Also, you need different cables from head unit to CD changer for Alpine units (later Alpine CD changers has additional connection). I have looked into this when I wanted newer features of Alpine head unit to work with iPod / music storage drive units.

The 525i/530i/540i should have all come with the same radio anyway. Either should work with the changer as long as the changer is a BMW changer. They used some sort of code on the later radios to lock out the non-BMW Pioneers.

BMWCCA1
12-05-2008, 09:46 AM
No it won't. Alpine CD changer and Pioneer CD changer and also from model year has changed and not compatible. E34, E32, and E31 uses Pioneer CD changer and some of the mid to later E36 use Alpine head unit with Alpine CD changer and not compatible with E34 head unit (Philips or Pioneer I believe). Also, you need different cables from head unit to CD changer for Alpine units (later Alpine CD changers has additional connection). I have looked into this when I wanted newer features of Alpine head unit to work with iPod / music storage drive units.

Your information is just wrong. The OP has a '95 U.S. 525i. His system is compatible with anything from near that same year. In later years of the E34 Pioneer radios worked with either Pioneer or Alpine BMW changers. There are a few earlier years where they were not completely cross-compatible but that's not relevant to this discussion. I also know of no Philips head units used in any BMW NA products, ever. Within the year-model we're discussing here, the cables are the same, both to install the head unit, and to the changer. It was only different in very late (Dec.'95) E36 M3s and then-on '96 models that BMW switched to the iBus system from the m-bus, but those few cars actually came with adapters for both and were made that way only because of the delay in producing a '96 M3 in the USA due to OBD-II regs.

The original question was would a head unit from a NA '95 530i fit in a '95 525i and that answer is still "yes".

Rick L
12-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Sorry, you are correct that with this information. All 95 E34 radio will be compatible with 95 models. What I was pointing out is that NOT ALL BMW ALPINE or PIONEER will work as there are variations, especially on 95+ model year like E36.

Your information is just wrong. The OP has a '95 U.S. 525i. His system is compatible with anything from near that same year. In later years of the E34 Pioneer radios worked with either Pioneer or Alpine BMW changers. There are a few earlier years where they were not completely cross-compatible but that's not relevant to this discussion. I also know of no Philips head units used in any BMW NA products, ever. Within the year-model we're discussing here, the cables are the same, both to install the head unit, and to the changer. It was only different in very late (Dec.'95) E36 M3s and then-on '96 models that BMW switched to the iBus system from the m-bus, but those few cars actually came with adapters for both and were made that way only because of the delay in producing a '96 M3 in the USA due to OBD-II regs.

The original question was would a head unit from a NA '95 530i fit in a '95 525i and that answer is still "yes".

BMWCCA1
12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Sorry, you are correct that with this information. All 95 E34 radio will be compatible with 95 models. What I was pointing out is that NOT ALL BMW ALPINE or PIONEER will work as there are variations, especially on 95+ model year like E36.That's I-Bus versus m-Bus, mostly, and quite obvious when you go to hook it up, though not all models share that change, ie. 318ti Kompact.

It is more likely that the Weather Band radio in a '95 E34 is from a very early production car. Later production within the same year did away with the weather band. It has been said quite frequently that the sound quality in the weather-band units is inferior to the later non-WB systems. The OP will have to determine that for us.

Russell
12-05-2008, 12:34 PM
yep I had a BMW alpine cd changer that died. It was replaced by used BMW/Pioneer unit I it from a guy named Macy (i think) . Anyway his email does no work any more.

Bottom line both will apparenly work under certian conditons on 95 BMWS.

Russell
12-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Russell, saw your post at bfc too. Pretty sure the '95s are interchangeable.
I would like to get my hands on that driver's door. Where are you??
Lexington, KY.

I will be looking at the door tommorrow. Door is said to be complete with glass, mirror, and inner panel. Paint is dark blue (believe orient blue), not sure of interior color. Should be parchment or light silvergray

Rick L
12-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Are you sure about the Philips head unit? I thought it was part of RDS option for 95 model year on E34. Picture below is my car with Philips BMW Business RDS head unit. This unit doesn't work with Alpine CD changer. I picked up BMW Alpine C43 head unit but it required I-Bus and Alpine CD Changer. But I went back to Philips because it has much better sound quality over Alpine unit.

HTTP://www.iccrents.com/ICC/Driver/MTech_Steering_Wheel.JPG

I also know of no Philips head units used in any BMW NA products, ever.

Ross
12-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Lexington, KY.

I will be looking at the door tommorrow. Door is said to be complete with glass, mirror, and inner panel. Paint is dark blue (believe orient blue), not sure of interior color. Should be parchment or light silvergray

Will you be buying it as part of package or is it just available?
I could use one and there is a good chance I'll be passing through your neck of the woods in the near future. Keep me posted please.

bubba966
12-07-2008, 12:26 PM
It is more likely that the Weather Band radio in a '95 E34 is from a very early production car. Later production within the same year did away with the weather band. It has been said quite frequently that the sound quality in the weather-band units is inferior to the later non-WB systems. The OP will have to determine that for us.

My M-Sport has a build date of 9/25/95 and has the WB on the radio. But as the M-Sports were a bit of an oddity as far as what parts were put into them they might be isolated in their use of WB equipped radios.

Russell
12-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Ross,
I sent you an e-mail about the door.

BMWCCA1
12-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Sorry; I've been working!

Rick L's car shows some anomalies just in his huge photo. I'll assume the steering wheel is an add-on, but simply having EDC and a hi-fi sound system with Philips head unit is something I've never seen. Granted I left the dealership the summer of 1995 so I may not remember everything. But I know I never saw any cars, nor did I have the ability to order any cars with those options. But then my '95 (10/95 production) has the electric-telescoping steering wheel and the automatic vent feature programmed to the OBC, neither of which are listed in the U.S. order deck for a 525i. Let's face it, the only reason our cars hung on so long for the U.S. was because BMW wasn't prepared for OBD-II required of all MY 1996 vehicles. By the time they came out with the E39 it was late enough to simply call those 1997s. Before that they seemed to be throwing any odd-ball parts they had left over from E34 production at those U.S. cars since that was all that remained of E34 production. I'd be interested in knowing the provenance of Rick's 525i to figure out where it got all that stuff. Got the original window sticker, by any chance?

Russell
12-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Rick L's car shows some anomalies just in his huge photo. I'll assume the steering wheel is an add-on, but simply having EDC and a hi-fi sound system with Philips head unit is something I've never seen. Granted I left the dealership the summer of 1995 so I may not remember everything. But I know I never saw any cars, nor did I have the ability to order any cars with those options. But then my '95 (10/95 production) has the electric-telescoping steering wheel and the automatic vent feature programmed to the OBC, neither of which are listed in the U.S. order deck for a 525i. Let's face it, the only reason our cars hung on so long for the U.S. was because BMW wasn't prepared for OBD-II required of all MY 1996 vehicles. By the time they came out with the E39 it was late enough to simply call those 1997s. Before that they seemed to be throwing any odd-ball parts they had left over from E34 production at those U.S. cars since that was all that remained of E34 production. I'd be interested in knowing the provenance of Rick's 525i to figure out where it got all that stuff. Got the original window sticker, by any chance?

My 95 525i built 1/95 has the electric-telescoping steering wheel and full obc with automatic vent feature. It was part of the prenimum package which also included cross spoke wheels, full interior leather with leather armrests and door handles, and possibly remote entry system. I assumed "most" 95 525is came with the preminum package to encourage more sales.

Rick L
12-13-2008, 04:15 PM
I didn't purchase this car new. I installed the M-Tech steering wheel earlier this year. Everything is pretty much stock except the suspension (Koni/Eibach), BBS T42 rims, exhaust end, and I-Bus cabling when I upgraded to Alpine C43. My 1995 525i came with most options. Yes, it came with suspension upgrade, radio, power memory seats, one touch system, power telescoping steering, and etc. It was previously owned by a lady and one owner before me so I doubt any modification was done before me. The "hifi" produce more bass and louder. When I upgraded to Alpine C43, this function stopped working and I lost my dash information display. And sound quality dropped noticeably over Philips unit. Which I would have never expected as I always thought Alpine to be of high quality. So Alpine was pulled and put Philips back.

BMWCCA1
12-13-2008, 06:09 PM
My 95 525i built 1/95 has the electric-telescoping steering wheel and full obc with automatic vent feature. It was part of the prenimum package which also included cross spoke wheels, full interior leather with leather armrests and door handles, and possibly remote entry system. I assumed "most" 95 525is came with the preminum package to encourage more sales.
Full OBC as opposed to multi-function clock, yes. But the electric telescopic column was never an option listed for the 525i, even with the premium package, and the auto-vent feature was also reserved for the 540i. Granted, many of the premium pack 525i's did get those features, but they weren't included in the order deck and most didn't show up until after the 9/04 holiday changeover. 1995 525i's made prior to 9/94 didn't even get the gathered leather trim on the door panels or leather door armrests. I've still never seen any 525i's with the premium sound system or EDC like Rick's car. I'd still love to see the build sheet or window sticker to see how they were listed.