PDA

View Full Version : How long do you guys let your car warm up?

Rick L
12-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I usually warm it up for few minutes. When really cold, at least 5 minutes. But I've been told otherwise. Some say it will harm the engine if you let it idle to warm up for few minutes before you drive it... I always thought it does more harm to drive the car when still cold as the oil is too thick to adequately protect vital parts of the engine. Why would you want to put stress under these condition? I have always followed the cardinal rule to warm up your car before driving and always change oil within 4k miles. I have kept most of my cars till ~150k miles. And all my cars, even American made lasted without engine problems.

See following arguments why you shouldn't warm up your car.

1. for one thing it "fouls" the plugs.

2. Part of the problem has to do with the fuel system.... When the car is cold the ECU is running the car in "open-loop" mode until the O2 sensors warm up. Until this happens, the car is running from a hard-coded fuel map, which runs the car very rich until the O2 sensors heat up to a sufficient temperature, at which point the ECU switches over to "closed-loop" mode.

When the car is at idle, the oil pressure is low. Low oil pressure, combined with a lot of gas going into the cylinders is like "washing" the cylinder walls down with gas, greatly increasing friction and wear. Under load, your oil pressure will be higher, which will prevent this from happening, even though the oil is cold and thicker. Besides, the engine will warm up faster under load than it will idling.

Tiger
12-01-2008, 08:22 PM
No warm up... just drive as you go. Maybe 20 seconds warm up while I fasten seat belt and whatnot.

glen-sj
12-01-2008, 08:24 PM
I warm up long enough to buckle my seat belt and check the mirrors. All in all no more than 10 seconds and drive off easy for first mile or so.

shogun
12-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Read the owners manual. Car will warm up faster when driving, also the transmission shifts later to higher gear during the warm up phase, in order to get the engine as fast as possible to operating temperature.

nk530
12-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Might be a good idea to include the approximate temp in your replies. I assume this question is in reference to cold weather (<32 f).

I usually warm it up for few minutes. When really cold, at least 5 minutes. But I've been told otherwise. Some say it will harm the engine if you let it idle to warm up for few minutes before you drive it... I always thought it does more harm to drive the car when still cold as the oil is too thick to adequately protect vital parts of the engine. Why would you want to put stress under these condition? I have always followed the cardinal rule to warm up your car before driving and always change oil within 4k miles. I have kept most of my cars till ~150k miles. And all my cars, even American made lasted without engine problems.

See following arguments why you shouldn't warm up your car.

1. for one thing it "fouls" the plugs.

2. Part of the problem has to do with the fuel system.... When the car is cold the ECU is running the car in "open-loop" mode until the O2 sensors warm up. Until this happens, the car is running from a hard-coded fuel map, which runs the car very rich until the O2 sensors heat up to a sufficient temperature, at which point the ECU switches over to "closed-loop" mode.

When the car is at idle, the oil pressure is low. Low oil pressure, combined with a lot of gas going into the cylinders is like "washing" the cylinder walls down with gas, greatly increasing friction and wear. Under load, your oil pressure will be higher, which will prevent this from happening, even though the oil is cold and thicker. Besides, the engine will warm up faster under load than it will idling.

BMWCCA1
12-01-2008, 09:33 PM
The only time my car warms up at idle is if I have to scrape snow or ice off the windshield. Otherwise, sit down, fire it up, and drive off, not exceeding 3,000 rpm until the temp gauge gets out of the blue. Even if it's 0ºF, as long as there's no snow or ice, I still just drive off. Makes it a lot more pleasant with heated seats though.

repenttokyo
12-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Do any of you who say 'don't warm up a car' live in a climate that sees temperatures below -40 degrees C? ;)

shadowpuck
12-01-2008, 10:01 PM
can't claim that i regularly see temps of -40 C.....

but, it gets plenty cold in this part of the world. i agree with the others (-40 temps aside), the car runs only long enough for me to clear the glass, etc. of snow, ice, frozen bits, then i'm off.

and, yes, heated seats are QUITE nice!! :)

shogun
12-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Do any of you who say 'don't warm up a car' live in a climate that sees temperatures below -40 degrees C? ;)

that is interesting, probably you should open a complete new thread for that in extreme cold areas.

For example: who is using a heating pad? Is this one the best or what is everybody using?
http://www.padheaters.com/index.html
http://www.dieselproducts.com/proheat/padheater.html
http://www.wolverineheater.com/engine-accessory/heating-pad.shtml
http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/745633/10002/-1

Ross
12-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Only a few moments, if very cold until I see movement of the gauge.
Easy throttle and revs until fully warm.
I have first hand experience of destroying an engine in below zero(f) weather by accidentally reving it immediately on startup.
Thick oil, pump cavitates, bearings spin.

repenttokyo
12-01-2008, 10:55 PM
that is interesting, probably you should open a complete new thread for that in extreme cold areas.

For example: who is using a heating pad? Is this one the best or what is everybody using?
http://www.padheaters.com/index.html
http://www.dieselproducts.com/proheat/padheater.html
http://www.wolverineheater.com/engine-accessory/heating-pad.shtml
http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/745633/10002/-1

never seen one of these in my life. people generally use block heaters instead.

uscharalph
12-02-2008, 12:48 AM
My car warms up as long as it takes me to close the garage door, plug in my ipod and gps and buckle my seat belt. LOL!!!!

BMWDriver
12-02-2008, 03:07 AM
Having an old engine with high mileage , I hear a rattle at start, until I press the pedal a bit or until a few moments on. I figure the engine gets well oiled after sitting for a few days that way. So I always give it a good 30 seconds to two minutes and gear in, then gently go off, and follow advice read here of keeping it below 3000 rpms for the first few minutes of drive.

As far as temperature goes, this is why I have 5W40 synthetic oil in there : for extreme cold conditions we have on occasion. The car has never failed to start even after a few days of this extreme cold. It has also never shown more difficulty to start than at any other times below freezing point. It works a bit harder to start than in autumn or summer of course.

I lost power once in minus 30 C at idle, the engine coughing at an intersection, but just for a few moments because I compensated by giving gas. The rest of the trip went fine.

My mechanic's advice is that a well oiled engine will last very long. He used to have an e34 also that he had sold when it had reached about 440 000 kms.

This M50 engine never ceases to surprise and please me. It delivers brilliantly when I feel sporty, once warmed up with care from me.

Russell
12-02-2008, 03:07 AM
No real warm up. However, I seldom see cold temperatures below zero. I just drive gently until warmed up.

Bo525i
12-02-2008, 04:19 AM
I never warm up mine, however I keep it under 3000 rpms till it´s warm tho something like 15-20 mins or so.. :)

Ferret
12-02-2008, 08:23 AM
These days, it's however long it takes the right bank to stop rattling... 2 maybe 3 minutes after startup before the tappets prime.

Think it's time to change the oil pump :/

Tiger
12-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Extreme cold climate zone use difffernt technique... Use super thin oil... like 0W20... the also use engine block heater... sometime also transmission pan heater before they start up the car. Always have the heater hooked up when parking for extended time.

Differenty type of grease is also used whenever possible.

If no place to plug in, just keep the engine running... even if all night long, or you will have to wait half a day inside a garage for your entire car to defrost.

repenttokyo
12-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Extreme cold climate zone use difffernt technique... Use super thin oil... like 0W20... the also use engine block heater... sometime also transmission pan heater before they start up the car. Always have the heater hooked up when parking for extended time.

Differenty type of grease is also used whenever possible.

If no place to plug in, just keep the engine running... even if all night long, or you will have to wait half a day inside a garage for your entire car to defrost.

extreme cold climates never turn vehicles off. i'm talking extreme, like Alert.

Ferret
12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
extreme cold climates never turn vehicles off. i'm talking extreme, like Alert.

The Russian public busses are left idling overnight during the winter months or they wont start... if one stalls out during the night they have to build a fire under the engine bay to get it warmed up to startup temperatures!

repenttokyo
12-02-2008, 09:39 AM
The Russian public busses are left idling overnight during the winter months or they wont start... if one stalls out during the night they have to build a fire under the engine bay to get it warmed up to startup temperatures!

yeah it's so crazy!

bmwrp8
12-02-2008, 11:41 AM
No warm up... just drive as you go. Maybe 20 seconds warm up while I fasten seat belt and whatnot.

x2 same here

Dave M
12-02-2008, 12:43 PM

I've had to do this working in the bush in very cold temps. Its at times like these that you wonder what the hell you're doing it for...... Pipeline workers also use this 'technique'. In places in Nunavut (my sister lives there),if you plan on going anywhere with a 'car' (anything other than a snowmachine) when its cold (-50) then its a chore. Bring the vehicle into a garage and heat the whole thing etc. Luckily, there are vety few places to go that a snowmachine can't take you :D

Also, my brother in law is a bush pilot and has had to sleep with his battery and engine oil in order to prevent being stranded in the bush.

Hey look, its -10 and snowing out, time for a ski,

Dave

tim eh?
12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
normally i drive straight away

below -10'c i give it 30 seconds or so in idle.

below -15'c i give it a minute+ .... below that i usually call in sick.

in all cases i accelerate very gently until the temp is out of the blue.

it's not just the motor... when it's cold all kinds of things can go wrong, especially the cooling system... best to be gentle with the old girl.

not sure, but if there was ticking/rattling on every start when it's cold, i would reconsider my engine oil.
i use 5w30 year round, my m20 sounds as good in -30'c as at +30'c.

***- i don't use a block heater or engine pad... the main concern for me most of the time in winter is always electrical/charging systems... same in other cars i have had.

whiskychaser
12-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Thought everybody lit fires under diesel tanks:-) Some old UK truck drivers would put a gallon of petrol in every tankful of diesel :-) I remember being told as a kid that the Germans lost on the Russian front for 2 reasons - the wrong boots and the wrong oil. They were issued leather boots instead of felt and the oil for engines - and guns - was the wrong type: it froze up.
I seem to remember a Porsche 911 having a light to tell you when it was warmed up enough for you to drive off. I digress. We had 4inches of snow today and like any other day I turned the key and drove off.

ThoreauHD
12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
When it's below freezing outside, I listen to my engine to make sure all the odd sounds have stopped. Just for my car, I notice that it get's a little ticked off when it's below 20 degrees F, so I let sit for a bit. Although, I don't hear/feel anything amiss if I just take off after 30 seconds. I err on the side of caution. The car is 15 years old, so I try to give it as much consideration as possible.

I notice that the 0 or 5w synthetic oil helps out quite a bit when starting an ice cubed engine.

attack eagle
12-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I let my son start the car and click the seat heaters on while we get our gear together. about 2 minutes later we are in the car and ready to go

when the littel one is with me, 4-5 minutes warm up. not becasue the car needs it, because it is cold as heck in the back seat.

Ross
12-02-2008, 08:11 PM
I've had to do this working in the bush in very cold temps. Its at times like these that you wonder what the hell you're doing it for...... Pipeline workers also use this 'technique'. In places in Nunavut (my sister lives there),if you plan on going anywhere with a 'car' (anything other than a snowmachine) when its cold (-50) then its a chore. Bring the vehicle into a garage and heat the whole thing etc. Luckily, there are vety few places to go that a snowmachine can't take you :D

Also, my brother in law is a bush pilot and has had to sleep with his battery and engine oil in order to prevent being stranded in the bush.

Hey look, its -10 and snowing out, time for a ski,

Dave

"had to sleep with his battery and engine oil"
What does your sister have to say about this?

Dave M
12-02-2008, 08:21 PM
"had to sleep with his battery and engine oil"
What does your sister have to say about this?

She's not stupid enough to fly with him :D

russiankid
12-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Since I live in a very hilly area I let the car warm up for 5 minutes because if I don't the transmission extends the shifting and sometimes I am trugging up a hill doing 20mph because I don't want to go above 2500rppms on a cold engine.

My M50 lifters rattle for the first 2 seconds then the engine is nice and quiet. The car sits in the garage so the lowest temp it see's is 0C. I hate how my RPM's shoot up to 1800 when I first start it up on cold.:(

Rick L
12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes... This is for cold climate winters. Today morning was 10 f in Chicago... :( And I did warm it up for 5 minutes before driving it as I always do. :)

Might be a good idea to include the approximate temp in your replies. I assume this question is in reference to cold weather (<32 f).

e34.535i.sport
12-05-2008, 11:51 AM
I tend to drive away striaght away as I'd heard it's not good for the car to let it idle for too long... Now I know why so thanks! :D

Kibokojoe
12-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I start the car, fasten my seat belt and go.

Washburn
12-05-2008, 04:03 PM
This morning was 0. ( F, not C ) Routinely below zero around here, and can get as low as 25 below. (What's that...-32 C?) I usually let it run in the morning for 5 minutes. Mainly because the heater will throw some heat faster once I get going. Heated seats are nice, but I want heat ASAP, and the heater on these cars basically suck as far as quick warm ups.

Jon K
12-05-2008, 10:46 PM
If you put it away after driving it properly it'll be warm the next time you go to it :)

632 Regal
12-05-2008, 11:32 PM
lots of cashmere blankets help ;)

If you put it away after driving it properly it'll be warm the next time you go to it :)

RockJock
12-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Lately I've let it warm-up for at least 10 minutes (~ -13-14 deg F) because I'm still running 20W50 which I'll change over to 10W30 really, really soon. The oil pressure light flickers for 5-15 seconds on startup. In the past I've run 0W30 and on very cold days (-25 F or colder) I’d also get a low oil pressure warning. I always use the block heater when it’s about 7-8 deg F or colder. Amsoil synthetics.

Mordan
01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
for the engine's lifespan

1)I have been told to wait 15 miles before hard accelerations. At least 10 minutes before the engine is fully warm.

2)I have been told to idle the car a few minutes.

that's really annoying

h2oyo
01-27-2009, 06:02 PM
I start the car, fasten my seat belt and go.

I agree, I start the car get belted in adjust the radio and start backing up. It seems to me that I read in the owners manual not to let the car sit warming up and that BMW said to start and go and to keep it under 3k until the gauge is where it should be. Then again I do live in AZ and yeah it was cold here in the mornings with a few in the mid 30s. :D
johan

Kibokojoe
01-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Must be nice. We are having an ice storm right now

632 Regal
01-28-2009, 01:41 AM
ideally in real cold weather (below freezing) I like to let it warm a few minutes before creeping out. The manual states to drive off right away in order to get things to emission standards but it takes longer to warm up with all the frigid air blowing around. I dont think a few minutes will bust the environment open at this point and heat is nice ASAP. just my opinion.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Never warm up the car...it's always warm out here.

I just drive gently until it reaches operating temp.

Kibokojoe
01-28-2009, 09:57 PM
What do you live on the equator?

Dave M
01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
What do you live on the equator?

Tropic of Cancer

Kibokojoe
01-28-2009, 10:24 PM
South American or Africa, India or China?

Kibokojoe
01-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Ha Thunderbay Ontario, your under 10 feet of snow right now

Kibokojoe
01-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Very nice Hawaii. My bimmer spent some time there with a PO