PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump.... Thanks ED

joshuagore
12-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Yesterday I dug into a recent stumbling problem I had been experiencing with my m30. The rough idle I could stand (an excuse being those aggressive stock cams) the hesitation during acceleration I could not. IT felt like I was towing an anchor and sometimes the anchor got caught in the brush and weed as it went sweeping behind my vehicle. Hows that for a graphic ;)

I did the filter, normal tune up stuff, and then decided to pull the pump. I found a pump with the back portion cracked. A semi circle zig zag shape crack went around the outside of the pump following the 'swage' fit between the aluminum and plastic parts on the upper portion of the pump.

Ohh no. I called around and Ed, thank goodness had a pump. My brother with with a fresh thin layer of snow just settling on the roads was more than willing to drift out to Eds. We snagged his pump and headed back.

Ooops Eds was from a 740, no worries it still works. I Had to zip tie the return line and hose clamp instead of banjo bolt the feed line. All is well and working fine, m30 is back to being silky smooth.

CN: Stock fuel pump was cracked Ed had one, I am local, snagged it, found it was for a 740, installed anyways, runs great.

Josh

Claude
12-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Yesterday I dug into a recent stumbling problem I had been experiencing with my m30. The rough idle I could stand (an excuse being those aggressive stock cams) the hesitation during acceleration I could not. IT felt like I was towing an anchor and sometimes the anchor got caught in the brush and weed as it went sweeping behind my vehicle. Hows that for a graphic ;)

I did the filter, normal tune up stuff, and then decided to pull the pump. I found a pump with the back portion cracked. A semi circle zig zag shape crack went around the outside of the pump following the 'swage' fit between the aluminum and plastic parts on the upper portion of the pump.

Ohh no. I called around and Ed, thank goodness had a pump. My brother with with a fresh thin layer of snow just settling on the roads was more than willing to drift out to Eds. We snagged his pump and headed back.

Ooops Eds was from a 740, no worries it still works. I Had to zip tie the return line and hose clamp instead of banjo bolt the feed line. All is well and working fine, m30 is back to being silky smooth.

CN: Stock fuel pump was cracked Ed had one, I am local, snagged it, found it was for a 740, installed anyways, runs great.

Josh
Did you had a chance to measure the pressure your bad pump gave to the fuel line, if so did it give you some signs that it was the cause of your problem ?

joshuagore
12-01-2008, 05:27 PM
No I didn't get a chance to check psi, but a visual inspection of the pump is fairly simple. 10mm socket, philips screw driver and 2 replacement hose clamps are what the job needs.

That being said my car had no rust, and the sender port seal was in good shape.

Josh