PDA

View Full Version : New member to join with e34 535.

midnightsv
11-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Hello to all.
I am new tro this forum and to E34 (not a stranger to German engineering)
Recently I got 89 535 5 speed. (deal I couldn't pass up).
Overal vehicle is in goog shape (one owner)
I need a little help finding right approach to this beast.
First issue is rough idle (getting tune up parts).
Second issue, on a hot re-start vehicle starts fine but wants to stall (even in neutral) or if accelerating heasitates badly. Few trottle blips usually clear this issue, afterwards it runs OK.
So far I've checked AFM TP switch, ICV (buzzing but doesn't open to 50% - causing base idle at cold start up (should be abouve 1000RPM ))
Also, P1222 is present.
I will check dreaded check valve at fuel sender.
From looks O2 is switching once warmed up, no rotten egg smell or bad consumption. I think its getting 23-25 MPG combined.

I got BMW FSM and Bentley manual.
There must be someone with similar (resolved) issue, right?

THANKS

Bo525i
12-01-2008, 05:31 AM
Welcome on board!
Canīt help you with your problems, but Iīm sure that someone can!

Rick L
12-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Welcome to the board! Friend of mind used to have 1990 535i and had similar problems. It was the head gasket. Hope this isn't the case for you. Sorry, I couldn't help you out more. :(

Hello to all.
I am new tro this forum and to E34 (not a stranger to German engineering)
Recently I got 89 535 5 speed. (deal I couldn't pass up).
Overal vehicle is in goog shape (one owner)
I need a little help finding right approach to this beast.
First issue is rough idle (getting tune up parts).
Second issue, on a hot re-start vehicle starts fine but wants to stall (even in neutral) or if accelerating heasitates badly. Few trottle blips usually clear this issue, afterwards it runs OK.
So far I've checked AFM TP switch, ICV (buzzing but doesn't open to 50% - causing base idle at cold start up (should be abouve 1000RPM ))
Also, P1222 is present.
I will check dreaded check valve at fuel sender.
From looks O2 is switching once warmed up, no rotten egg smell or bad consumption. I think its getting 23-25 MPG combined.

I got BMW FSM and Bentley manual.
There must be someone with similar (resolved) issue, right?

THANKS

tim eh?
12-02-2008, 03:30 PM
the fuel check valve is inside the tank... if you think the problem is fuel-related there is also the fuel pump relay, the fuel filter and the regulator to check and they are a little easier to get to.

it's good your icv is buzzing but it still might be sticking - you can take it off and shoot some carb cleaner through it to clean it up.

welcome - good luck with it!

bmwrp8
12-03-2008, 12:10 AM
welcome to the board:) first tune it up change the air and fuel filter too then adjust the valves and clean icv. See if the problem is still there.

632 Regal
12-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Ding! Clean this thing with cleaner so it will open and close freely, then reset the computer and then try again. Could be as simple as this.

[quote=midnightsv;314927]ICV (buzzing but doesn't open to 50% - causing base idle at cold start up (should be abouve 1000RPM ))
Also, P1222 is present. /quote]

allerston
12-04-2008, 03:26 PM
welcome
had that problem two weeks ago guest what injector cleaner did the trick try it it worked for me
cheers.

e34.535i.sport
12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi and Welcome!

Good luck getting rid of the rough idle... I've tried and failed many times! If it's really bad it might be worth checking for leaks in vacuum hoses or the intake gasket?

I can live with mine but if anyone finds a miracle cure I'd love to know about it!

midnightsv
12-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys
I did the compression test and leak down, CP is about 165 +/- 5 Psi even across all 6 banks.
Leakdown passed.
Actually engine on the inside is scary clean, no varnish or any build up whatsoever...nice dark honey color....
Im waiting for timing chain cover gasket set (comming from BavAuto on a SLOW BOAT)
Oh...I've noticed when I put that S-1 cleaner, I noticed idle has gone up a smoe ???
I giot it as a project, so I'll see
:cheers: