PDA

View Full Version : IT'S GOING!!!!e34 YAHOOOO!!!!!

ric5s
11-28-2008, 07:58 PM
HI to all my girl up and running!!!!!!! ECU Number 3 did the trick,but it has serge between 500 rpm and 1000 rpm at idle. up, down but very even. 6 second between high point and low point. Noticed that the fuel pressure is at 40 psi while running yet at 51 psi in start. Put the foot down and it all goes away and runs smooth but still stays at 40 psi, fuel pump or pressure reg?.
One happy bloke here cheers.
Ric

632 Regal
11-28-2008, 08:04 PM
should be around 40 at idle and higher when running, I would venture the regulator. Have you changed out the fuel filters? Congrats on getting her running!!!

uscharalph
11-28-2008, 09:46 PM
HI to all my girl up and running!!!!!!! ECU Number 3 did the trick,but it has serge between 500 rpm and 1000 rpm at idle. up, down but very even. 6 second between high point and low point. Noticed that the fuel pressure is at 40 psi while running yet at 51 psi in start. Put the foot down and it all goes away and runs smooth but still stays at 40 psi, fuel pump or pressure reg?.
One happy bloke here cheers.
Ric
Congratulations!

ric5s
11-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Cheers Guys, Wife recons I can work miricals LOL. Got rid of the serging by running over all vacum lines and sealing up a few joins. After a test run and a load of fuel aboard a inspection showed a major rear oil leak. Looks like rear main, age has got to it I think. But I don't give a rats ring gear, it going and thats all I care about. Now for a beer, and one for Regal and those here who helped, Cheers Ric

632 Regal
11-29-2008, 02:07 AM
raging rear main oil leak is also an intake leak... think about it.

Mordan
11-29-2008, 04:41 AM
raging rear main oil leak is also an intake leak... think about it.

do you mean when oil is leaking because of crankshaft rear oil seal, you have an intake leak?

Ross
11-29-2008, 05:10 PM
do you mean when oil is leaking because of crankshaft rear oil seal, you have an intake leak?

What he means is that since the crankcase is (allegedly)sealed with crankcase fumes being drawn into the intake a leak would allow unmetered air into the engine. Remove your oil cap with the engine running to demonstrate this. If you have a V8 hold a rag over the opening unless you want hot oil slung off the timing chain, ask me how I know this.
Oil seeping past the rear seal isn't going to create a vacuum leak though, if the seal were removed then you'd have air coming in.

ric5s
11-30-2008, 03:39 AM
OK Regal I'll bite too, blocked breather to inlet pressuring the sump maybe...

Today I cleaned up the fresh oil at the rear of the engine and what had sprayed over the exhaust pipes. After a 6 minute run I found the oil was pouring out of the rear of the cam cover. Yep somebody had been in there before and not seated the gasket correctly. A quick check over and another leftover was found. No washers on any of the cam cover nuts and one that was snaped off at the head, just sitting there. At least its not the rear main seal, wasn't looking foreward to doing that job.
Went to bleed the cooling system tonight only to undo the bleeder and the top of it broke off. Now trying to get the rest of it out. Anyone got one :D
Oh well, at least I've got work to look forward to tomorrow.
Regards Ric

632 Regal
11-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Winfreds trick is to heat the tip of a screwdriver and melt it into the bleeder, when cools down unscrew.

ric5s
12-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Cheers for the tip Regal, ended up digging it out with a SS scribe. The plastic was coming out in little bits. Got it all out, cleaned up the tread and fitted a new one tonight. Cooling system is all OK Cam cover refitted with 1 new stud.
Will be giving it a run tomorrow to see what other issues show up.
Regards Ric