PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating springs to go w/ my new 17s - advise/encouragement wanted

Kamil
06-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Hello,
I have a '91 535i for which I just bought nice 17"(x8/9) wheels that came off of a '00 540i sport (the alpina look-alikes).

I was originally shopping for a set of 15"s, but no one had a set, so I got these.

I've put them on, and man, they look great!!!
Except for a huge gap in the front.

My car has recently replaced shocks, they're BMW OEM, nice and stiff.

I would love to get rid of the gap b/w the front wheels and fender, but I dont want to buy new shocks/struts along w/ springs, esp since there's nothing wrong w/ these.

Here are my options, tell me what to do... the car is strictly a daily driver.

- sell/trade the wheels for 15" + cash, leave suspenion as is, drive the car (the common sense thing to do)
- keep the 17"s, get a set of springs, use OEM shocks (the ghetto way)
- "waste money" on new shocks and springs (the right way)
- drive around w/ a gap over the front wheel w/ 17's. (the unsightful way)

what do to? what to do?
feel free to throw any and all opinions at me... I plan on keeping this car till spring or so, unless it continues running really well, as it has.
Yea, I'm one of these people that changes cars often.... a habit I'm trying to stop.

I've spend around $1000 on it already, not including wheels... so I dont really want to spend a whole lot more.

Thanks for reading/writing.... does this feel like group therapy yet or what? :p

DueyT
06-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Kamil, consider that a lowering would likely require rolling the inner lip of the fender well. The car will look very nice lowered on 17's....to wit:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/540drvwy.jpg

15 or 17....I just wouldn't be able to live with 2" of space above the wheel, looking like an AMC Eagle.:D You just have to decide if you're "in for a penny, in for a pound."

Cheers,
Duey

DrewZ
06-02-2004, 11:29 AM
along with 3mm spring pads will lower the car approx. 1" & will work with the stock shocks.

Drew Zacharda
6-speed Touring with factory sport springs/stock shocks
http://members.aol.com/apzjd/newavatar.jpg (http://www.bmwe34.net/ASP/DURegistry/RegDetail.asp?id=100)

Kamil, consider that a lowering would likely require rolling the inner lip of the fender well. The car will look very nice lowered on 17's....to wit:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/540drvwy.jpg

15 or 17....I just wouldn't be able to live with 2" of space above the wheel, looking like an AMC Eagle.:D You just have to decide if you're "in for a penny, in for a pound."

Cheers,
Duey

Kamil
06-02-2004, 11:49 AM
along with 3mm spring pads will lower the car approx. 1" & will work with the stock shocks.

Drew Zacharda
6-speed Touring with factory sport springs/stock shocks
http://members.aol.com/apzjd/newavatar.jpg (http://www.bmwe34.net/ASP/DURegistry/RegDetail.asp?id=100)

Where do I get those Drew?
...and what are "spring pads"?

I can imagine what they are by name, but....

thanks

Kamil
06-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Ok, did search.... still little confused.... Mtech springs = E34 M5 springs (front only I assume, due to SLS in rear)

where and how much?

AZ_Jason_S
06-02-2004, 12:34 PM
I would just get some springs and run them with your Boges. I assume you got Boges if you got BMW OEM? You can get some Bav-Auto springs and the stance will be perfect, and its not "ghetto". You won't have the performance ride of a Sachs kit or something, but you will get close to an OEM ride with the look you want. A reasonable compromise thats affordable and not without some common sense.

I run 17's with this setup and it rides good, looks good, no fender rub either. Doesn't handle like a Porsche, but thats what a Porsche is built for. For me the BMW is a daily driver, not a race car.

"Ghetto" would be lopping a coil off of your original springs...

Jeff N.
06-02-2004, 12:49 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/suspensions

Maybe someone can post the part numbers for the Mtech springs. I can't recall if you just install the fronts or all 4.

The spring pads Drew mentioned are rubber donuts that isolate the spring from the strut. Two per spring - top and bottom. The upper spring pad on a stock E34 is 9mm thick. You can replace this spring pad with a 3mm pad from a 540 with EDC suspension. Good for about another 1/4" drop. Parts cheap and zero extra labor when swapping out the spring.

Drew Z
06-02-2004, 01:28 PM
See if Tim can pull up the part no.'s for you. You can install fronts only, and be OK. IMO, the rear is low enough with the stock springs.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/suspensions

Maybe someone can post the part numbers for the Mtech springs. I can't recall if you just install the fronts or all 4.

The spring pads Drew mentioned are rubber donuts that isolate the spring from the strut. Two per spring - top and bottom. The upper spring pad on a stock E34 is 9mm thick. You can replace this spring pad with a 3mm pad from a 540 with EDC suspension. Good for about another 1/4" drop. Parts cheap and zero extra labor when swapping out the spring.

Kamil
06-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Well.... in the end, I've ordered the BavAuto springs.
They were getting mixed reviews from people... I'll only install the fronts, along w/ upper control arms w/ 750i bushings, and then I'll get an alligment. :)

I tried, but I simply could not stand to look at that 4x4.

Reviews & pics of the springs, Z3 short shifter, and Sirius satellite radio will be posted. :)

Jeff N.
06-02-2004, 07:37 PM
You're going to need the Bilstein sport shocks with the short throw. Otherwise you're going to bottom the shock out. Did you order new shocks?

BTW - if you ARE going down this route ($200 for springs, $400 for shocks), better to buy the Sachs kit.

If you don't plan to swap shocks, the suggestion to get the M-tech springs is muuuuch better. You are not going to like just the Bav auto springs in front. And it will ride like crap as it bottoms out the shock.

Just ask Martin...his suspension sucks. Guess what he has. :)

Jeff

Kamil
06-02-2004, 07:54 PM
You're going to need the Bilstein sport shocks with the short throw. Otherwise you're going to bottom the shock out. Did you order new shocks?

BTW - if you ARE going down this route ($200 for springs, $400 for shocks), better to buy the Sachs kit.

If you don't plan to swap shocks, the suggestion to get the M-tech springs is muuuuch better. You are not going to like just the Bav auto springs in front. And it will ride like crap as it bottoms out the shock.

Jeff

Yea... just springs... I dunno, I was not able to find the M technik springs anywhere... asked people for part numbers, nothing.
Did internet search, nothing.
Even went to the dealer, and the dude said that the springs off a '95 540i Sport are for the ETS (? I think, the adjustable deal, w/ the button on the centel console)... so I dunno.

If I find out the needed part numbers, prices, etc... I would rather go w/ the OEM M tech springs... but no avail so far. :(

I asked about returning the springs... no problem.

If somebody out there knows exactly what I need and where to get, please let me know.
Thanks,
-Kamil

AZ_Jason_S
06-03-2004, 12:06 AM
I know they aren't the best solution for performance, but they get the job done for a reasonable price. You should cut the bump stop down also. Mine almost never bottom out, but maybe thats just the roads I drive on? Also, by the time you put 17's on it, you've already compromised the ride quality.

Kamil said he isn't even gonna have this car a year from now. Its hardly worth dumping a bunch of money in it...

Jeff

MicahO
06-03-2004, 07:56 AM
oops - hopefully my post with the spring part numbers wasn't too late. IMNSHO, i'd cancel the order for the BavAuto springs. I've driven on them once, and seen them on many cars. I feel they drop the car too much, and are made a bit soft for the low ride height. This leads to a greater propensity to bottom - a bad thing in my book. Real short should mean real stiff with some comfort compromises, and BavAuto seemed to go short and soft for comfort and looks. Not my cup of tea, and you'll also need the Bilstein sports with the shorter travel = more $$$.

The MTechs are lower, without being slammed. They are stiffer, without being rock-hard. It remains a compromise spring sold by the manufacturer, but BMW gets pretty close to correct.

If you had not already done new shocks and spent that money, I'd probably go with a full Sachs sporting kit, but to maintain the investment in the new shocks and not break the bank, the MTechs are clearly the way to go.

Take your time - the gap is not pretty, but you'll be past it in due time.