PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Chicago area track?

Rick L
11-28-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm thinking of building a track car for next summer and wondering if anyone in Chicago area track? Which one is close and good?

BMWCCA1
11-28-2008, 06:45 PM
The Windy City BMW Chapter of BMW CCA holds at least four schools every year, from Road America to Putnam and Gingerman: http://www.windycitybmw.com/Activities/DrivingSchools/DrivingSchools.aspx

DaveCN
11-29-2008, 12:12 AM
I was going to suggest you check your local CCA chapter. You might also try NASA, Midwest region.

As far as getting a track car - might I suggest an e30 3 series? Cheap, reliable, lots of places to get affordable upgrades when you need them.

Ross
11-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Blackhawk Farms is closest in S Beloit, then Road America, Gingerman. Also the country club track near Joliet and a new one planned for NW Indiana just across the Ill border off of Rt 41.

Rick L
11-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys for the info... I've been to Road America. They do have long straights there. And would be fun in a fast car... :) I'm thinking about picking up E36 M3 and making it into a track car. Porsche 911 has always been my favorite but the cost is way out of my range and expensive to maintain. So looking into E36 M3. I have driven E36 M3 and it is more nimble and agile than my E46 M3. I think finding one made for track is the way to go. But I do like the idea of building one myself as it is something I would enjoy doing and it might be half the fun. ;) I feel I’ll be satisfied with the power of E36 M3. My main concern is the weight as it is the enemy of a good track car. And good suspension setup and great brakes are something I would need… I think biggest gripe I have with Motorsport is the brakes. I feel brakes on all M cars are inadequate. I’m hoping in the future, they would take a page out of Porsche and put some good brakes in the car. Also, roll cage would be a definite plus!

Ross
11-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys for the info... I've been to Road America. They do have long straights there. And would be fun in a fast car... :) I'm thinking about picking up E36 M3 and making it into a track car. Porsche 911 has always been my favorite but the cost is way out of my range and expensive to maintain. So looking into E36 M3. I have driven E36 M3 and it is more nimble and agile than my E46 M3. I think finding one made for track is the way to go. But I do like the idea of building one myself as it is something I would enjoy doing and it might be half the fun. ;) I feel I’ll be satisfied with the power of E36 M3. My main concern is the weight as it is the enemy of a good track car. And good suspension setup and great brakes are something I would need… I think biggest gripe I have with Motorsport is the brakes. I feel brakes on all M cars are inadequate. I’m hoping in the future, they would take a page out of Porsche and put some good brakes in the car. Also, roll cage would be a definite plus!

If you are going to have a dedicated track car you will be able to rid the M of all the pork it carries around which will increase your brake performance.

Rick L
11-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I plan on doing that. I try to make it light as possible. But brake fade is common with M brakes. I don't think you can go longer than 10 minutes on a track without some kind of fading... :(

If you are going to have a dedicated track car you will be able to rid the M of all the pork it carries around which will increase your brake performance.

BMWCCA1
11-29-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't know how you guys are driving but I ran a two-day Advanced M-School at VIR in an E46 M3 with Competition Package and never had a brake problem. The last day was about four hours of track time that wore me out, but not the car.

I've heard the biggest problem with most BMWs on the track is the nut behind the wheel. :D

repenttokyo
11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't know how you guys are driving but I ran a two-day Advanced M-School at VIR in an E46 M3 with Competition Package and never had a brake problem. The last day was about four hours of track time that wore me out, but not the car.

I've heard the biggest problem with most BMWs on the track is the nut behind the wheel. :D

i run hawk hps pads, works great for autocross and whatnot.

shadowpuck
11-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I plan on doing that. I try to make it light as possible. But brake fade is common with M brakes. I don't think you can go longer than 10 minutes on a track without some kind of fading... :(

hmmm.....really?

i'd have to ask if there wasn't some other issue? i tend to agree with some of the others here.

i've been on track with some pretty serious drivers - in fact, one of my good friends; a top instructor and racer, drove an e36 M3 on track for a while - other than some more aggressive pads and brake fluid, he ran complete stock M3 brakes, with no issues, period.

during my on-track sessions, i've never experienced fade or any issue in my non-M e36 - 325is. that includes multiple back to back sessions when i shared the car with a few instructor friends at an event with 106F air temps!

some of the seriously fast guys run cooling kits for the brakes, but usually other than that they just use uprated brake fluid and track pads....

there's a wealth of great tracks not far from Chicago; definitely check out the Windy City Chapter of the BMW Club. They put on some excellent events.

i think an e36 M3 is a super choice for a track car; they are reasonably affordable now, parts are plentiful, there's plenty of go-fast goodies, and there's a ton of folks that know how to drive them fast if you are wanting some tips! :)

Rick L
12-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Actually, E46 M3 with Comp Package does have larger brakes than the standard E46 M3. But they might be right about the NUT behind the wheel of BMW! :D

Rick L
12-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I've been told otherwise from guys on track. Everyone who jump from BMW to Porsche will tell you that Motorsport brakes are the weak link. And that's not because of the weight as most E36 M3 can be trim down to under 3000 lbs., just like the P-cars.

hmmm.....really?

i'd have to ask if there wasn't some other issue? i tend to agree with some of the others here.

i've been on track with some pretty serious drivers - in fact, one of my good friends; a top instructor and racer, drove an e36 M3 on track for a while - other than some more aggressive pads and brake fluid, he ran complete stock M3 brakes, with no issues, period.

during my on-track sessions, i've never experienced fade or any issue in my non-M e36 - 325is. that includes multiple back to back sessions when i shared the car with a few instructor friends at an event with 106F air temps!

some of the seriously fast guys run cooling kits for the brakes, but usually other than that they just use uprated brake fluid and track pads....

there's a wealth of great tracks not far from Chicago; definitely check out the Windy City Chapter of the BMW Club. They put on some excellent events.

i think an e36 M3 is a super choice for a track car; they are reasonably affordable now, parts are plentiful, there's plenty of go-fast goodies, and there's a ton of folks that know how to drive them fast if you are wanting some tips! :)

shadowpuck
12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
rick,

i won't argue that bmw brakes are better than porsche; porsche makes some amazing brakes. however, that wasn't your original comment or statement. i'll disagree that ///M brakes are prone to fading on track; my experience says otherwise....

at any rate - no problem - we can agree to disagree! :)

whatever you choose, you'll have a good time at the track; it's pretty tough to not have a good time out there! hopefully, come next summer we'll see you at some events!