PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter lock up

russiankid
11-28-2008, 12:57 AM
This is a 95 525i with production date of 06/94.

The issue I am having is the torque converter lock up. When the transmission is cold or warm, the converter will lock up at highway speeds without any problems. It will stay locked throughout the trip as long as I don't slow down to the point where it has to unlock. Once it unlocks, it will not lock again. If I give it about 1/4th throttle(maybe a bit more) the converter will lock up until i release some pressure from the pedal.

Some back ground information. I have a new filter along with new fluid. I already changed the fluid once so the fluid is nice and fresh and at the proper level.

Is this a software related issue or is this a lock up solenoid issue? My guess is the computer because it does lock up.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I DO NOT get any TRANS programs errors.

632 Regal
11-28-2008, 01:47 AM
From what I read and experience here in the US the trans is supposed to lock up after the peddle is somewhat steady and rpms also for 10 seconds. It works pretty much as I read, I did notice on uphill angles it will decouple and also lock up downhill as long as there isnt major movement in the peddle.

shogun
11-28-2008, 03:03 AM
I do not know which tranny type you have, but here are test data for the valves in the 4HP22-24
http://www.zoom-tech.com/downloads/support/tranxpages/euro/4hp22-24.pdf

russiankid
11-28-2008, 10:19 AM
From what I read and experience here in the US the trans is supposed to lock up after the peddle is somewhat steady and rpms also for 10 seconds. It works pretty much as I read, I did notice on uphill angles it will decouple and also lock up downhill as long as there isnt major movement in the peddle.

I can set the cruise control to 60mph and go on flat level road and it will not lock up.:(

russiankid
11-28-2008, 10:20 AM
I do not know which tranny type you have, but here are test data for the valves in the 4HP22-24
http://www.zoom-tech.com/downloads/support/tranxpages/euro/4hp22-24.pdf

I have the GM unit.

632 Regal
11-28-2008, 10:53 AM
I would swap another trans computer and see if that solves the problem. If not then it would most likely be the trans but think the computer is the culprit.

russiankid
11-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I would swap another trans computer and see if that solves the problem. If not then it would most likely be the trans but think the computer is the culprit.

Do you know where I could get one other than the junk yard? Also where is the computer located? My tranny is not in the best shape but since it does lock up but only at certain temps it may be the computer.

Its getting a 5-speed sooner or later just now its eating my gas mileage. 21mpg highway, and thats with new spark plugs, IACV cleaned with new hoses and connectors, new air filter, fuel filter and fuel lines, vacuum lines replaced, throttle body gasket+cleaned body.:(