PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving divorce

Ross
11-27-2008, 09:31 AM
A man in Phoenix calls his son in New York the day before Thanksgiving and says, I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; forty-five years of misery is enough.

Pop, what are you talking about? the son screams.

We can't stand the sight of each other any longer, the father says. We're sick of each other, and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Chicago and tell her.

Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. Like heck they're getting divorced, she shouts, I'll take care of this, She calls Phoenix immediately, and screams at her father, You are NOT getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME? and hangs up.

The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. Okay, he says, they're coming for Thanksgiving and paying their own way.

ArnZ!
11-27-2008, 11:26 AM
lol nice one

Jr ///M5
11-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Ha,ha, good one Ross!

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

JR

Tiger
11-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Lol

Bo525i
11-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Hehe..

Kibokojoe
11-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Good one

genphreak
11-27-2008, 05:43 PM
ROFL. Now all we need in Oz is thanksgiving.

Well we aren't quite religious enough to mandate a holiday just like that.

Besides, we have weekends and barbecues often enough to make up for it, so the justification is not quite there for it.

Ross
11-28-2008, 09:49 AM
It's not a religious holiday Nick. Although settlers came here to escape religious persecution at the hands of those same Brits that put your ancestors on boats bound for the Pacific.
It was and still is a feast to give thanks for the bounty and freedom in our country.

Sadly, it also marks the beginning of the worst commercialization of the Christmas season.
News reports this morning tell of stampedes(really) of frenzied shoppers who have waited overnight in lines to buy crap at Wal-Mart.

whiskychaser
11-28-2008, 01:06 PM
It's not a religious holiday Nick. Although settlers came here to escape religious persecution at the hands of those same Brits that put your ancestors on boats bound for the Pacific.
It was and still is a feast to give thanks for the bounty and freedom in our country.

Be fair Ross. As far as the US is concerned, it seems to have kicked off with one church in Babworth. I know where it is, but I bet nobody else on this forum does :-) Its in the middle of nowhere even now! They didnt like the way the CofE was doing business so they snaked off to Holland. From there to the States. It was a commercial enterprise and thats fair enough. We put the Bowery Boys on boats cos we hadnt room for all the convicts. Its that bad you could get 'assisted passage' to Australia for USD20 in the 1970s. You will be blaming us for the potato famine next. But I hope you had a great day. Spare a thought for the poor buggers in Bombay (or Mumbai if you prefer)I hope nobody here has friends or family out there

Kibokojoe
11-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah they are idiots. Just buy all the crap you need on-line. Much easier

e34.535i.sport
11-28-2008, 05:42 PM

LOL!!!! #Rule Britannia... ... # :D :D :D

attack eagle
11-29-2008, 12:19 AM
I overslept and wound up going to the sales at a rational hour... 8:30-9:00

At 10:30 everything but the tvs and $70 camera was still available and there were huge pallets still 1/3 full of all the advertised specials...

no lines, 5-8 cashiers free at any given time.

same way everywhere I went.

IS it the economy? the not so great deals? is it the deals BEFORE black friday?

I dunno, I went out to get 2-3 things got some $2 DVDs and that was it.

All my shopping was pretty much done a week ago.

fin
11-29-2008, 09:41 AM
For non-continentals,

Thanksgiving besides being as it says, is about a core belief in gratitude for all things good in life. Although the original feast was given by religious refugees, it was really just an afternoon barbeque with friends, families and neighbors that became a widespread tradition.

President Lincoln declared it a national holiday during our Civil War to remind the Nation that even in the worst of times, there is good to be found and to be grateful for having it.

As holidays go, it is the least strifeful as it carries little emotional weight or expectations. Only an expectation of generous quantities of food and an afternoon watching American Football. And as eating turkey induces, a pleasant tryptopanic nap.

While living in Italy, we went to a local farm that also served meals (similar to a B&B without the B or B, really just D.) for a catered T-day meal. Cranberries being a staple of the meal is most available as a canned jelly. And often served on a plate straight from the can. Cranberries weren't available in Italy for their culinary magic. So a can was brought by a friend who, with much effort, convinced our Italian hosts that a plate holding a cylindrical ribbed burgandy jell was central to the meal and certainly had a welcome place at a formal holiday meal. Our host's reluctance and cheerful capitulation made the meal all the better.

Cheers,

Fin