PDA

View Full Version : Need the Senior Professionals Help!

Jehu
11-26-2008, 10:32 PM
I spoke with a local Independent BMW shop about my Lower Timing Chain Cover Gasket leak. I submitted a request for an estimate on their website. Speaking with the owner today he quoted me North of $3,000.00 USD and saying he referenced the BMW Technical Repair Data which instruct the Engine be Removed.... ya removed and the Heads taken off.... yah the heads...off... then ancillary replacement parts. My question is about his procedure. No other shop I've asked about this job has mentioned this extensive process of removing the engine and taking off both heads... can anyone who works in a shop for a living and would accept this job tell me if this guy is actually the right one and the others ,who mentioned just going at it from the front with the radiator,Alternator,Oil Filter Canister,etc taken out to get at the two halves of the Timing Chain Cover to replace the gaskets(leaking at the lower left side) are all wrong?.. I expected to pay over $2k but if the heads really have to come off and the engine come out I may shop for a fresher engine . Mine has about 165K on the Alusil swap.. thanks for any guidance.

yaofeng
11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Senior? Professional? You are not going to intimidate me. Removing the engine? probably yes. Removing the heads? I don't think so and I hope not.

No. I did not take a look when I had the V8 on the stand. It is inconceivable this cannot be done from the bottom to remove the bottom cover first and then the chain cover. In any case it is probably cheaper to get another engine.

I got my 63k Nikasil for ~$800.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_2713-2.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_2614.jpg

632 Regal
11-27-2008, 01:20 AM
kinda technically they are thinking the head gaskets should be fresh to have a good seal on the cover. It could be done without pulling the heads but may leak up top from the heads... I would think with common sense and gasket sealant it could be done at home much cheaper... in the range of the cost of parts. If you cant do it yourself then maybe a new engine find could be in order. But wow an alusil all ready there.

Jehu
11-27-2008, 01:33 AM
Yah I'd hate to trash it its fine other than its leaking oil all over my rubber components and alternator.. I can't work on it in my Condo parking space,no... but I've had offers from local car guys who say they can do it but none have suggested anything along the lines of what I heard from this other Shop Owner today ...

I have noplace to store this engine if I were to find ,buy and install a fresh engine. I assume I'd essentially have to donate it to whereever it gets taken out .. i don't like the sound of that...its weird but i find i actually have an emotional/psychological attachment to this engine,lol. this particular one. its been so good to me.lol The reason i ask is just to hear weather the story I heard today is in fact the way it needs to be done.. i have been talking to people about this for over a year and never heard this was required. It changes the way I look at the whole picture... I mean if the engine comes out are there not things I can do to it to freshen it up? poslih the ports or get the injectors cleaned, maybe i should drop in a new clutch plate while the engine's out... maybe have a new muffler put on ... just throws it all up in the air..

632 Regal
11-27-2008, 01:57 AM
heads are allready ported and polished significantly, can you imagine a 7.5 litre engine of this head design? wow. just plug in more cubic inches, not sure what the 4.0 is but the 530 is 163 or something...boost that to 630 inches huh? Add bigger valves or something, these engines are great.

Ross
11-27-2008, 08:36 AM
I meet only one of your criteria for answering but here goes if you are interested.
Be sure this is your leak. If you bring a car to most any shop with your own diagnosis and say "change the timing cover gasket" they will, wether or not it corrects your leak.
I'd try checking for loose bolts and have a good look at the crank seal before popping several grand.
I can't think of a reason for the heads to come off or the engine out. Perhaps I will be corrected on this.

yaofeng
11-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Whoever told you the heads come off is blowing smoke. You can't convince me they need to be removed. Looking at the parts diagram, you maybe able to remove the cover from the top by taking the upper chain covers off first.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE63&mospid=47410&btnr=11_1429&hg=11&fg=10

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/d/a/1.png