PDA

View Full Version : Suspension, what should i replace?

casurfer911
11-26-2008, 11:52 AM
So I am installing bilsetein sports on friday, other than shocks an struts, what else should i replace? I can tell i need new bump stops, what about strut mounts? They seem expensive and Its hard to tell if I need new ones or not.

Tiger
11-26-2008, 11:59 AM
You don't need bumpstop for front... Bilstein has its own. The rear, cut them back 2"... you might have to fish them out from inside the sleeve.

genphreak
11-27-2008, 09:34 PM
So what about Sashs sports and or Konis, do these need bumpstops when installed on the front?

When I do it, I replace the sleeve (they crack up and can only be done when its all out), and the bumpstop. Always have to consider getting m5 spring pads too depending on the ride-height- they lower the car by 6mm fro only a few bucks. Then there is the Nyloc nut at the top, upper and lower arms, sway bar links if bad, M5 bushes but only if installed right, tie rods. Only use OEM (Lemforder), but I make an exception for the crappy alloy lower arms- they are so cheap and are holding out well so far.

I have yet to see a bad idler arm but think the drag link (connets the tie rods to the steering and idler arms, can crap out after a while.

At my local parts place they sell the same front replacement bumpstops for all 6 cyl e28, 30, 32, 34 and 36. These are much cheaper than the shorter (m5) ones. Regal32 cut some stock ones down, and I've recently done the same installing my Sashs sports.

Cheers, Nick