PDA

View Full Version : anybody treat their winter tires?

tim eh?
11-25-2008, 06:02 PM
i heard armorall was bad (...?)

Tiger
11-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Armor all is bad for everything... Don't use it. I don't do any tire treatment anymore... rubber cracks real fast with armor all.

Ross
11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
I treat them to a million Chicago potholes

632 Regal
11-25-2008, 06:47 PM
I know a guy that owns a detail shop... he uses Brake fluid for everything from tires and plastic trim to dash boards and interior.

Tiger
11-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Sounds like an ideal candidate to torch his car. Fiery BMW crash...

Ross
11-27-2008, 09:36 AM
I know a guy that owns a detail shop... he uses Brake fluid for everything from tires and plastic trim to dash boards and interior.

****ing moron, tell him I said so.

repenttokyo
11-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I uses 303 Aerospace protectant on my tires, works well. In the winter, everything looks like ass anyways, so it's somewhat of a losing battle to dress winter tires.

Bo525i
11-27-2008, 12:52 PM
I use special ultraprotect nano lukewarm tabwater and wax once a week! (more or less) :)

tim eh?
11-27-2008, 03:51 PM
I uses 303 Aerospace protectant on my tires, works well. In the winter, everything looks like ass anyways, so it's somewhat of a losing battle to dress winter tires.

that's what i was thinking of using... (mainly coz i have some).
c'mon you've seen my car - to protect, not for looks. :)

I use special ultraprotect nano lukewarm tabwater and wax once a week! (more or less) :)

i'm impressed... funny how standards differ, i was thinking of doing mine... like... once maybe :D

***- heh... i get it (oh man)... maybe i'll wash it a couple times... heh

Armor all is bad for everything... Don't use it. I don't do any tire treatment anymore... rubber cracks real fast with armor all.

thanks for the warning, i'm ditching the bottle. (that i used to use but not on this car, because i heard bad things)

oh, and thanks also jeff... kind of... i thought about it... :D

Rick L
11-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Huh? Not sure what you mean... Armorall on the side wall doesn't effect anything. I don't think anyone use it on the tread... :p

i heard armorall was bad (...?)

Rick L
11-27-2008, 08:04 PM
I was always told brake fluid is very toxic.

Rick L
11-27-2008, 08:10 PM
What creates damage is the shine as it magnifies from the sun! Not the ingredient in Armorall. I use it all the time but my tires are worn well before it starts to crack. All tires have shelf life of 8 years! And how many of you have tires older than 5 years? My tires only last me 3 years so never see cracks. :)

tim eh?
11-27-2008, 09:43 PM
What creates damage is the shine as it magnifies from the sun! Not the ingredient in Armorall. I use it all the time but my tires are worn well before it starts to crack. All tires have shelf life of 8 years! And how many of you have tires older than 5 years? My tires only last me 3 years so never see cracks. :)

I only do about 3 to 4,000km a year on my snow tires so I hope they will last longer than three years!

You just convinced me to use aerospace 303 :D.

632 Regal
11-28-2008, 12:51 AM
He asked "who the F_ck is Ross" and laughed. It does shine and protect he says I told him it smells like ****, he replied hang one of them christmas tree incense things and be done.
****ing moron, tell him I said so.

Sam-Son
11-28-2008, 02:54 AM
w.wwait......you guys.....clean your cars?;)
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/E34MGERM/dirty.jpg

tim eh?
11-28-2008, 05:53 AM
He asked "who the F_ck is Ross" and laughed. It does shine and protect he says I told him it smells like ****, he replied hang one of them christmas tree incense things and be done.

LOL - that'll have to be plan 'b' then, i hate those christmas tree things!

repenttokyo
11-28-2008, 10:51 AM

actually, it's antying with silicone in it that deteriorates the rubber. it's not a magnification of the sun.

the shelf life oftires relates to the fact that if they are sitting on a shelf, they never flex in order to allow the protective waxes inside the tire to reach the surface and replenish the rubber, protecting it from drying out. this is why dry rot happens.

repenttokyo
11-28-2008, 10:52 AM

and then you drive down the highway and it's maybe not fully dry and little flicks of it fly onto your paint and BAM, you're a moron! :(

Rick L
11-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I have always used Armor All to dress my tires since my first car. Never once did I have any issues with tire or tire crack. If you see cracks, most likely your tire is getting old and need replacement. Manufacture date is always next to DOT followed by the number on the tire. It is recommended that the tire is used within 8 years from this date regardless you are still using it with very few miles per year or brand new that was just installed! I know dressing interior is very bad since the it does magnify the UV rays. Personally, I never do since I don't like the shiny interior look but some do. But each to their own...

actually, it's antying with silicone in it that deteriorates the rubber. it's not a magnification of the sun.

the shelf life oftires relates to the fact that if they are sitting on a shelf, they never flex in order to allow the protective waxes inside the tire to reach the surface and replenish the rubber, protecting it from drying out. this is why dry rot happens.

repenttokyo
11-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I have always used Armor All to dress my tires since my first car. Never once did I have any issues with tire or tire crack. If you see cracks, most likely your tire is getting old and need replacement. Manufacture date is always next to DOT followed by the number on the tire. It is recommended that the tire is used within 8 years from this date regardless you are still using it with very few miles per year or brand new that was just installed! I know dressing interior is very bad since the it does magnify the UV rays. Personally, I never do since I don't like the shiny interior look but some do. But each to their own...

silicone affects rubber exactly the same way it affects your interior. As I explained, cracks result from the tire's oils not being able to do their job properly.

I'm an automotive writer, and I can post some articles I have written regarding tire detailing and the effects of various products on rubber, if anyone is interested.

tim eh?
11-28-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm an automotive writer, and I can post some articles I have written regarding tire detailing and the effects of various products on rubber, if anyone is interested.

yes please

repenttokyo
11-28-2008, 04:50 PM
yes please

Here's an excerpt:

When inspecting your tires, you should look for any areas that look dried out or cracked. This kind of damage can occur when a car has been sitting for a long time, or when the tires are very old. Exposure to high heat or excessive amounts of sunlight and ozone can also speed up this drying process, as can repeated washings with harsh soaps or polishes that contain petrochemicals. Tires are actually black to help protect them against these elements, as the rubber is mixed with special ultraviolet light stabilizers and absorbers called carbon black.

Like many filters, over time carbon black gets used up and changes color. In the case of old tires, this color is a dull gray. Tires are also embedded with waxes that gradually make their way to the surface of the rubber during use to protect against ozone. If a tire sits for a long period, these waxes are not released and the tire is unprotected, leading to a ‘dry rot’ condition and cracking.

Most tires are warranted against this kind of damage, but if your tires are out of the warranty period, there are a couple of things you can try to deal with small cracks. The first is to use a restorative product that does not contain liquid silicon. This shield will also impart a shine that could disguise dried out or cracking tires. While it may look shiny, the silicone oil can actually work to dissolve the waxes inside the rubber, which only accelerates the aging process of the tire. You should also make sure that the product you are using does not contain any petroleum-based cleaning agents, as this will only exacerbate the problem. Water-based tire restoratives also exist, and provide a similar level of protection with less of a gloss. However, if your tires are significantly dried and cracked, it is not worth playing a guessing game regarding the integrity of your tire’s sidewall. You should replace any tires which do not appear to be in drivable condition. Spending a little bit of money now on new tires is preferable to losing your life in a car accident caused by sidewall failure.

Rick L
11-28-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm looking at a bottle of Armor All. It states, "Helps prevent cracking, fading, discoloration and premature aging". Is this a lie? :(

Here's an excerpt:

When inspecting your tires, you should look for any areas that look dried out or cracked. This kind of damage can occur when a car has been sitting for a long time, or when the tires are very old. Exposure to high heat or excessive amounts of sunlight and ozone can also speed up this drying process, as can repeated washings with harsh soaps or polishes that contain petrochemicals. Tires are actually black to help protect them against these elements, as the rubber is mixed with special ultraviolet light stabilizers and absorbers called carbon black.

Like many filters, over time carbon black gets used up and changes color. In the case of old tires, this color is a dull gray. Tires are also embedded with waxes that gradually make their way to the surface of the rubber during use to protect against ozone. If a tire sits for a long period, these waxes are not released and the tire is unprotected, leading to a ‘dry rot’ condition and cracking.

Most tires are warranted against this kind of damage, but if your tires are out of the warranty period, there are a couple of things you can try to deal with small cracks. The first is to use a restorative product that does not contain liquid silicon. This shield will also impart a shine that could disguise dried out or cracking tires. While it may look shiny, the silicone oil can actually work to dissolve the waxes inside the rubber, which only accelerates the aging process of the tire. You should also make sure that the product you are using does not contain any petroleum-based cleaning agents, as this will only exacerbate the problem. Water-based tire restoratives also exist, and provide a similar level of protection with less of a gloss. However, if your tires are significantly dried and cracked, it is not worth playing a guessing game regarding the integrity of your tire’s sidewall. You should replace any tires which do not appear to be in drivable condition. Spending a little bit of money now on new tires is preferable to losing your life in a car accident caused by sidewall failure.

BMWDriver
11-28-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm looking at a bottle of Armor All. It states, "Helps prevent cracking, fading, discoloration and premature aging". Is this a lie? :(

It's called "marketing".

BMWDriver
11-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks Repen, very informative. It's no big surprise considering petroleum compounds are used in tire manufacture. It would then only be normal for petroleum based solvents to degrade, to various degrees, something made with petroleum compounds.

repenttokyo
11-28-2008, 08:21 PM

in the long run, stuff like armor all can have a negative effect on your tires and vinyl if you live in a climate where you see a lot of sun - because of way that the silicone attacks the waxes, leaving your tire shiny but fairly unprotected against UV light and heat.

Here's my opinion: if you have been using armor all, and it has been working for you over a long period of time, then i wouldn't worry. for your next set of tires, I would not use the armor all and start with a non-silicone protectant from the start. The more you use silicone, the more it saturates into the tire, making it necessary to 'clean it out' with a non-silicone treatment over time that could lead to blotchy looking tires for a few weeks. However, if you start from scratch, then you essentially have a clean slate when it comes toi protecting your rubber.

Non-silicone sprays are generally going to give you less gloss, so that is a consideration too.

This is just my advice - I am not an expert on the topic but I have had the chance to write about it extensively over the past 6 months for several clients, so it is fresh in my mind. Personally, I switched over to Aerospace 303 Protectant as an experiment, and I have found MUCH less graying on my tires, esp. after it has 'worn off' and needs to be re-applied, in comparison to the silicone products I used to use.

tim eh?
11-28-2008, 08:40 PM
in the long run, stuff like armor all can have a negative effect on your tires and vinyl if you live in a climate where you see a lot of sun - because of way that the silicone attacks the waxes, leaving your tire shiny but fairly unprotected against UV light and heat.

Here's my opinion: if you have been using armor all, and it has been working for you over a long period of time, then i wouldn't worry. for your next set of tires, I would not use the armor all and start with a non-silicone protectant from the start. The more you use silicone, the more it saturates into the tire, making it necessary to 'clean it out' with a non-silicone treatment over time that could lead to blotchy looking tires for a few weeks. However, if you start from scratch, then you essentially have a clean slate when it comes toi protecting your rubber.

Non-silicone sprays are generally going to give you less gloss, so that is a consideration too.

This is just my advice - I am not an expert on the topic but I have had the chance to write about it extensively over the past 6 months for several clients, so it is fresh in my mind. Personally, I switched over to Aerospace 303 Protectant as an experiment, and I have found MUCH less graying on my tires, esp. after it has 'worn off' and needs to be re-applied, in comparison to the silicone products I used to use.

so i guess the graying really indicates the condition of the entire tire, not just the surface of it. this is cool, i'm tempted to look around at products but i have half a bottle of aerospace just sitting there...

i couldn't give a rat's ass about gloss. :)

repenttokyo
11-28-2008, 09:21 PM
so i guess the graying really indicates the condition of the entire tire, not just the surface of it. this is cool, i'm tempted to look around at products but i have half a bottle of aerospace just sitting there...

i couldn't give a rat's ass about gloss. :)

aerospace will work fine :)

Rick L
11-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks Repen for the info. I try the one without silicone. Didn't know it can damage rubber. Like I said, I have always use Armor All... I'll try something else for the next set... :)

tim eh?
11-29-2008, 04:40 PM
...put them on today...

bridgestone 'all-seasons' 225/60/15 8,000km vs nokian hakkapelita5 205/65/15 3,000km

tread is definitely deeper and wider on the nokians.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6362&stc=1&d=1228086706

i treated the nokians with aerospace on both sides even tho the sun don't shine much on the inside of the tires.

rick i wouldn't worry too much about armor all - i used to use it on my last vehicle and i think it does protect against road goo at least. i had a bad tire that had been treated on the outside with armor all but not on the inside and it was the inside sidewall that went bad.

ben - thanks for all that info.

attack eagle
12-08-2008, 01:42 AM
I take them to dinner and pick up the check... ;)

I have the good luck to live somewhere where 45 is the average daytime temp in the middle of winter, so I only have one set of Ultra high performance summer tires to deal with year round. I don't treat my tires at all just clean them with watered down simple green and a sponge when I wash the car.