PDA

View Full Version : charge trek X - A New Beginning

tim eh?
11-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Gee Tim, did you fix your electrical gremlin or are you gonna shoot for episode XX?

:D

well, seeing as you asked... no... and i'm freaking out a bit it's getting cold i need the amps for my heated seat!

i told them i'm bringing the alternator back again - i'm turning into an unreasonably hardnosed consumer... there will be a mob of salesmen after me before long, i might have to leave town.

i should find out today what my options are, if i can i'll get a bosch 115A just because that's what i had before and it worked fine so i'll know for sure if i have a problem elsewhere. i might have to try an aftermarket 140A.

you'll be sure to hear about it....

BMWDriver
11-24-2008, 05:28 PM
So are you gonna throw a party once this is fixed ? :D

ryan roopnarine
11-24-2008, 06:07 PM
vines ebay store has 140a jobs that fit onto an m50 for around $50usd. i don't know if your pulley system would work with it, though. my 07/1991 525i uses one. sourcing a replacement voltage regulator for it, however, is a pita.

Tiger
11-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Everyone has those voltage regulators... however, sourcing a "cheap" regulator is a real PITA.

ryan roopnarine
11-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Everyone has those voltage regulators... however, sourcing a "cheap" regulator is a real PITA.

ok, i'll clarify. there's no point in asking someone to get you a voltage regulator for the 140a bosch from a 1992 525i, unless you take the voltage regulator out first and read them the number off of the rectifier first. iirc, it took bma about 3 tries to get me the right one. some of them have the brushes parallel to the rectifier, some perpendicular, some in another configuration....

yeah, and it wasn't cheap in 2004 dollars either. i think i finally ended up with one for about $48 or $50.

tim eh?
11-24-2008, 08:30 PM
ok, i'll clarify. there's no point in asking someone to get you a voltage regulator for the 140a bosch from a 1992 525i, unless you take the voltage regulator out first and read them the number off of the rectifier first. iirc, it took bma about 3 tries to get me the right one. some of them have the brushes parallel to the rectifier, some perpendicular, some in another configuration....

yeah, and it wasn't cheap in 2004 dollars either. i think i finally ended up with one for about $48 or $50.

wow - i don't need more headaches and the market just isn't the same here.

if i can get a 115A bosch from these guys i'll be happy to pay the difference. that way i'll know for sure if there really is anything wrong with the rest of the car b/c the (really) old one worked well until it bit dust.

if it's not the alternator i'm taking it to get the alternator and starter cabling redone somewhere. :(

if that's not the problem i'm going to try setting the car on fire and seeing if that helps at all.

if i do ever get it fixed i will throw a party the weekend after my month-long nap.

tim eh?
11-25-2008, 05:30 PM
woohoo - bosch 115A coming friday, only $100 more.

whether it helps or not i should go back to the store next week and see what he does when i tell him i have to return it. :D no, that would be mean...

tbc...

tim eh?
11-27-2008, 09:48 PM
What do you guys think my chances are of replacing the batt/alt/starter cable are on a cold day? Anyone know where to start there?

diagram-> http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6293&d=1226811139

photo-> somewhere in there (from alternator looking towards firewall) (http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6314&stc=1&d=1227379400)

***- i already saw shogun's thread (http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/560991)

another diagram (realOEM link) (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC23&mospid=47402&btnr=12_0379&hg=12&fg=29).. i can't find one of the starter cabling.

bad_manners_god
11-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Be smart about this tim, make the cables inside in the warmth and then go outside, undo the bolts, (don't drop them) and then just install the new cable.

OR

Remove old cable, go inside, make one like it, then go back outside and install.

tim eh?
11-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Be smart about this tim, make the cables inside in the warmth and then go outside, undo the bolts, (don't drop them) and then just install the new cable.

OR

Remove old cable, go inside, make one like it, then go back outside and install.

good advice - I'm really not sure about doing it in the cold. I usually prepare as much wiring as I can indoors... **** I have done a lot of wiring.

I just can't find any info on which bits to take off to get to that cable and connector, and more important what not to break!!!!

Such a pain in the ass going to a shop right now with snow tire's being mandatory in 2 weeks. I'm so incredibly sick of this.

***- and what about that connector? so long as they are all attached well and solid and nowhere near anything else it should be good.... right?

bad_manners_god
11-28-2008, 12:13 AM
good advice - I'm really not sure about doing it in the cold. I usually prepare as much wiring as I can indoors... **** I have done a lot of wiring.

I just can't find any info on which bits to take off to get to that cable and connector, and more important what not to break!!!!

Such a pain in the ass going to a shop right now with snow tire's being mandatory in 2 weeks. I'm so incredibly sick of this.

***- and what about that connector? so long as they are all attached well and solid and nowhere near anything else it should be good.... right?

You think it's a pain to go to a shop, try working in one. Within this week alone I've changed about 400 tire's by myself.

What's the weather like sunday? If it's nice, come pick me up and I'll help you.

Any Metro's near you?

tim eh?
11-28-2008, 05:41 AM
You think it's a pain to go to a shop, try working in one. Within this week alone I've changed about 400 tire's by myself.

What's the weather like sunday? If it's nice, come pick me up and I'll help you.

Any Metro's near you?

that is very generous of you. the weather is nice sunday but i am booked for the afternoon (and i need the car.... working). plus i want to return the alternator tomorrow, so i'm going to try to do it in the 'light' snow forecast for tomorrow.

i just need to know what to take off to get to that connector. it ought not to take too long... getting started is the problem.

i had 2 tires mounted on rims a couple weeks ago.

asked one mechanic 'how's it goin'.... 'sick of tires'

asked another.... 'i'm sick of doing tires.' :D

bad_manners_god
11-28-2008, 08:31 AM
If you ask me I'll tell you the same thing,

your best bet is to take off as little as possible. Get a 1/4' Ratchet Set and feel around.

OR. Unplug the old wires, tape them off and just run new wires however is convient for you.

tim eh?
11-28-2008, 04:03 PM
@%^^%#$&$^(^&*&%#%$(*&)*#%^&^@$Y(&@^$(*@TY%&@$(*@$

so... whaddya all think of my brand new alternator?

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&stc=1&d=1227905645

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&stc=1&d=1227905645

not a big deal if i can use the cover from the old one, but that has to go back as a return.... will find out soon...

so anyway....

noob question #694 (guessing) -
Can i run seperate power cables to the starter and the alternator or do they have to be connected before the battery?

your best bet is to take off as little as possible.

amen brother :D

bad_manners_god
11-28-2008, 07:06 PM
so anyway....

noob question #694 (guessing) -
Can i run seperate power cables to the starter and the alternator or do they have to be connected before the battery?

I don't see why not, it's still going/coming from the same place.

Only thing that's going to change is the length of wires which shouldn't be a big deal.

First thing is first, install the new alternator, see what happens AND THEN change the altnerator/starter wires.

tim eh?
11-28-2008, 08:22 PM
oh wow... i just checked the serial# and it's a 140A.

AL0154X Reman Alternator w/140A Alternator; Reman

well... if this doesn't give me juice, nothing will!

bad_manners_god
11-28-2008, 08:46 PM
oh wow... i just checked the serial# and it's a 140A.

AL0154X Reman Alternator w/140A Alternator; Reman

well... if this doesn't give me juice, nothing will!

Perfect, install it tomorrow and post back asap. I'm going to see a toolbox tomorrow in ndg at 1:30, I'll try and check the boards when I get back.

tim eh?
11-29-2008, 10:59 AM
welll... i just found out the hard way that 140A alternators don't fit the m20 mounting bracket.

dammit

bad_manners_god
11-29-2008, 11:17 AM
welll... i just found out the hard way that 140A alternators don't fit the m20 mounting bracket.

dammit

how badly does it not match up? Maybe you can make a bracket??

tim eh?
11-29-2008, 11:59 AM
how badly does it not match up? Maybe you can make a bracket??

no... if it was too big i could, but the bracket on the alternator is too small for the mount, the old one is back in already.

weird it doesn't fit, but it really doesn't. parts dude must hate me.

it's too cold to do wiring. i started but everything is too brittle in this temperature i think. i think it would be an easy job for a pro, i'm taking it to a garage i know next week to see about an estimate.

i'll bet anything that this starter cable has something to do with all this.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6350&stc=1&d=1227977896

guess i have time to put my snow wheels on now...

bad_manners_god
11-29-2008, 12:41 PM
What are you talking about too cold to do wiring. I just installed a HID Kit on my mom's Echo outside.

Start spraying WD-40 or some other Lubricant on all the bolts that have to be removed so they'll have less chances of breaking.

tim eh?
11-29-2008, 04:26 PM
What are you talking about too cold to do wiring. I just installed a HID Kit on my mom's Echo outside.

Start spraying WD-40 or some other Lubricant on all the bolts that have to be removed so they'll have less chances of breaking.

i'm not worried about the bolts breaking, but i really don't want to tear that apart right now. the charging system is a little more crucial than a HID kit... i want it done once, properly, and in a warm environment. i bet it is a real mess in there, judging just by the crud that has seeped out. it should be a sinch for someone who has done it before.

this (suspected problem) is typical of the kinds of problems winter driven cars have here. battery cables and terminals are particularly vulnerable in our climate, and can cause all kinds of electrical problems...

i have checked these wires over and over again for any kind of voltage drop... hot and cold but they check out - i'm still sure it's the problem.

i have to go to a garage anyway - i put my snows on and one has a leak still.

BMWDriver
11-29-2008, 05:57 PM
While you're at it, you might want to hire a good witch to make your bad luck go away ! Make some offers on the altar of the Mighty E34 Gods and do away with your woes...

tim eh?
11-29-2008, 07:06 PM
While you're at it, you might want to hire a good witch to make your bad luck go away ! Make some offers on the altar of the Mighty E34 Gods and do away with your woes...

i tried that already, and a bad witch.