PDA

View Full Version : '95 520i electrical issue

NielsGalan
11-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm having trouble with a 95 520i auto.

While driving, first the ABS light, then the AIRBAG light comes on. I thought nothing of it, but noticed when I parked the car the electrics were a little "off". I tried starting it again, and it appeared that the car was low on power (electrical). Strange, but I shut it down and leave it there.

2 hours later I get back in the car, everything's fine, but the clock has mysteriously reset itself to 0:00, as if the battery had been disconnected. The car starts up fine, and off I go.

After a few minutes, ABS light and Airbag light come on. The transmission makes a jolt and the transmission warning light comes on (toothed wheel with an exclamation mark light between the E and D). Power gets very strange, and I'm sure the headlights are dimmer than normal.

I stop and shut the car down, restart and same problem. I turn around and head for home. Gradually almost the entire dashboard quits and the headlights are way too dim for safety with almost no visibility.

So I'm stumped. I am in the process of resettig the trans computer by joining the + and - cables by the battery (the mysterious fix, that no one really knows if it actually does anything).

But apart from that, what am I looking at???

DaveVoorhis
11-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Dying battery and/or alternator.

whiskychaser
11-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Dying battery and/or alternator.

Hey. Is your car alive and fit to climb Mam Tor again?

DaveVoorhis
11-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey. Is your car alive and fit to climb Mam Tor again?

No, it's dead as a doornail and acting as an extra shelf in my garage.

I'm looking seriously at E39 M5's.

whiskychaser
11-23-2008, 05:18 PM
No, it's dead as a doornail and acting as an extra shelf in my garage.

I'm looking seriously at E39 M5's.

Thats a damn shame. I hoped you might be able to breathe life into it. E39 M5 sounds good. This may be treason but I have been looking at M3s

DaveVoorhis
11-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Thats a damn shame. I hoped you might be able to breathe life into it. E39 M5 sounds good.
The drivetrain is still good and it moves under its own power, and I managed to pry the fender off the front tire, but the frame is bent. I'm going to part it out over the winter.

This may be treason but I have been looking at M3s
Nothing wrong with that at all. I've also been looking at Z4's.

whiskychaser
11-23-2008, 06:42 PM
The drivetrain is still good and it moves under its own power, and I managed to pry the fender off the front tire, but the frame is bent. I'm going to part it out over the winter.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I've also been looking at Z4's.

If you do part it out, dont forget to post it here. I'd like to think I can improve and yours could live on. Z4 and M3 as second cars wouldnt be too bad I suppose