PDA

View Full Version : Does my key have a transponder module in it?

pcross
11-22-2008, 05:08 PM
1995 525i - the one that won't start........I just ran a carsoft diagnostics program on my 525i and the only error message I get is 01 - Key not recognized. Then it gives me the sequence that the EWS goes through recognizing and accepting the transponder signal before OK'ing a start command to the DDE. I didn't know my key had a transponder module. Does it? I can't tell by looking and my owner's manual does not address it.

bubba966
11-22-2008, 05:47 PM
What's the build date of the car?

pcross
11-22-2008, 07:02 PM
What's the build date of the car?
Build date: 2/95

bubba966
11-22-2008, 07:05 PM
You have EWS II, which does have a transponder in the key. Do you have another key to test it out with?

pcross
11-22-2008, 07:21 PM
You have EWS II, which does have a transponder in the key. Do you have another key to test it out with?
No, I just have the one key. It worked great until a few days ago. I have tried the door lock/unlock sequence using the key only. The remote locking system works fine too - I have a separate remote module form that. The only thing I haven't tried is to disconnect/reconnect the battery. I'm thinking I have a DME/EWS "misalignment." If so, is there anything I can do without trailering my car 150 miles round-trip to the nearest dealer?

pcross
11-22-2008, 07:29 PM
And, BTW, the starter works and turns the engine over, but that's it.

pcross
11-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Also, Does anyone know where the EWS fuse is? I can't locate it on any chart.

gale
11-22-2008, 09:05 PM
There's a "hidden" fuse under the rear seat:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/236235

I don't know about BMW but there are numerous on-line locksmiths for Toyota that can provide a new transponder key if you send them an old key and the ECU. Otherwise Toyota stealer will make you buy a new ECU & key and charge extra to sync them.

bubba966
11-23-2008, 11:59 AM
If your EWS needs to be re-aligned you need to take it to a shop that's got a BMW GT1 diagnostic computer as that's the only thing that'll talk to the EWS ECU. Usually that's only found at the dealer. Though a couple of the independent shops in my area do have that computer.

You'll be charged for about 1 hours worth of labor to get the EWS re-aligned. Had to have it done to my EWS ECU after getting Dinan software for the car.